canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I moved into a house with hardwood floors, people before me

Customer Question

I moved into a house with hardwood floors, people before me lived 30 Yrs in it, the floors might have been sweep once every third month moped with soap & water every 2-years, lots of scratches, and fading where you walk, eat, and sunlight comes in, was thinking I might be able to treat them somehow after years of neglect any suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are some pics
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today. Judging from the pictures the floors are in excellent shape. The worn areas are to be expected. The best way to repair the worn areas would be to sand all of the floors and refinish all of the flooring. To be honest this is not really a DIY project considering that the cost will be equal to having a service do it. A professional will have the equipment to sand the surface area evenly and will be able to provide the stain at a reasonable price. Also a professional company will have a much nicer finished project than a DIY'r would. The cost would be about $4/square foot to have it sanded and refinished. The areas would be too worn to spot finish and match the existing areas with less wear so truly the entire surface would need to be sanded and finished to have the best result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know some boards in walking area are needing replaced. I was thinking on getting them out of the closets where none can see, I am pretty good handyman, never sanded floors but did some pretty mean benches in my day
The sanding would be terrible to do by hand. You have to clean the surface down to the wood before finishing with a new stain. A company would use a floor scrubbing type of machine or a belt sanding machine. With either you can easily cause a groove or uneven sanding so be careful if you decide to take it on yourself. Once you have the sanding done take a few samples of stain and stain 1 foot squares of each in an open area to help make the final choice in stain. You can sand your sample areas off after you have made a choice. If some of the boards need to be replaced that is a good plan. It is not easy to replace a board but if you are quite handy it will be much easier. The easiest boards to remove will be along the wall. Take the baseboard off inside the closet and remove the boards from there instead of in the middle of the floor. It will give you some space to pry away from the tongue and groove of the planks.
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?
You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service. I will always respond. Mike