Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Craig, I just bought a GM3T-BX remote control 1/2

Customer Question

Hi Craig, I just bought a GM3T-BX remote control for my 1/2 HP H4000A and I can't make it work. I wonder if I bought the right remote control.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That remote is mentioned as working with the HP4000A, yes. If your HP4000A is not an excessively old (mid-80s or older) model, that remote should work with it.
If it were an intellicode remote control, you would 'program' it by pressing the learn button on the opener, then pressing the button on the remote several times. As it is, with DIP switches, I'm not as sure what you should do.
I presume that you removed the protector slip, labeled 'pull', from your remote.
I advise you to try a different code. And there's no need to let me know what it is... I can't work with it, but a would-be burglar can.
Be sure that four or more of the switches are set differently from the rest (in other words, not too many the same.)
And no switches in 1 through 9 are set to center position.
And: be sure that you have clearly identified the # ***** switch... if you start at the wrong end of the switch block on the opener, you will not get this to work.
See also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMBdxey0HI
which has useful tips and illustrations.