Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Control box and wall button clicking and blinking but not working.

Customer Question

Control box and wall button clicking and blinking but not working. I have reset the breaker and it is still doing it.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If you are asking about a garage door opener, then you may have a jammed door, quite simply... if that might be the case, gently try to manually propel it open (or, shut) with the manual crank, and if it resists a lot, the problem's nature is confirmed. Generally speaking a jammed garage door should
1. not be forced, to open or to shut (lest it be damaged/bent still further), and
2. should have a garage door repair and maintenance pro look at it, repair it, etc.
If you are asking about some other household appliance... it doesn't sound as if it were an alarm system, but whatever it is, if I haven't guessed right, please Reply telling me what type of 'control box' or system it is, and I will offer a different and more appropriate answer, as appropriate. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry it's the garage door opener. It's not stuck because I can open and close it manually. But no matter what the box and the wall switch areblinking and clicking.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Is the clicking repeated, or if once-only (so to speak), is it in sync with, or in reaction to, any particular event or command or etc. ?
What brand name is ***** ***** opener, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just doing this repeatedly for about two days now. As I said before it's unlocked so I have to manually pull up and push down the door. I'd send you a video but it won't send through this application
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well, I admit this has me puzzled. The best I can say at this moment is, turn up the 'force' control or setting on the main box. You may be able to crank the garage door up or down, but the main box might be set to too low a 'strength' or 'force' of driving the door. If it's too weak, in other words, it will try to move it, a safety relay will click open to prevent overheating, and eventually retry, perhaps. That way you'd get no movement, and a repeated click noise.
If that isn't it, then you may quite simply have a defective garage door opener - rare as that is in my experience. Let me know what you find out by increasing the 'strength' or 'force' setting (do it by stages, not to maximum all at once... that could cause damage if some part is genuinely stuck or resisting the opener's motor.)