AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

I need to replace a Firex #1218 smoke alarm. They don't make these anymore. Is there

Customer Question

I need to replace a Firex #1218 smoke alarm. They don't make these anymore. Is there a replacement that will work without replacing the existing mount & wire harness?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
I do hate to bear bad news, but there are no detectors to replace the one you have that would match with the plugs on the rear and mounting bracket at the ceiling or wall.
They are constantly changing the designs and they always change the rear plugs.
This is because as they change the designs, they change the way they operate with the electronics inside also.
Only certain models will work on the same line as others and they do not all mix and match.
The units are specific, as to which ones can be interconnected, and no others will work.
So,they change the rear plugs and someone cannot accidentally install units that do not work together.
The other issue, is yours are older and the replacement units that can interconnect are not even made any longer.
So, if you have the 3 wire system, you would have to replace all the detectors so they will work with each other.
This happens often on older units, we do upgrades because one unit fails and is no longer available often.
They should always be changed before the 10 yr life expectancy, that is the maximum that they should be used and then all replaced.
Hope that helps to explain the situation, wish it was an easier solution, but unfortunately it is a little more detailed.
Thanks