AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

Turned on today. But zone 6 (covers the area where #1, #2,

Customer Question

Turned on today. But zone 6 (covers the area where #1, #2, #3,and #4 are located) was on all the time even if I put the program controller to "OFF" position. I had to turned off the main water valve (#1) off. How to trouble trouble-shoot? While zone6 was on, I also tried to turn other zones on, but the water pressure in those zones apparently too low.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please provide more details.

How many zones are on the system?

The Zone #6 has 4 sprinklers? Is that the 1,2,3,4 posted?

You also have a master valve to control all water to the entire system?

What controller is installed?

Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you see the attachment for my previous questions (answered by other expert)? If you see, then you will understand what I mean by #1,2,3,4, etc..The program controller is Hunter SRC plus

I looked at the pictures on a previous discussion, yes.

It does not have the information needed, unfortunately.

A zone, is what water the solenoid valve supplies when the solenoid is energized, water flows through to the numerous sprinkler heads in the Zone area.

You can have many zones and each zone can many heads depending on the layout and coverage.

Looking at your #1,2 3 and 4 in the picture are not zones nor heads.

#4 has wires that could connect to a solenoid, but I see no sprinklers in any of the pictures.

Just need to know what it is you are referencing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

zone6 covers the area where these stuff (#1,2,3,4) are located. The issue now is zone6 can not be turned off when the water is turned on, i.e. the sprinkler heads in zone6 are squirting water even if I put the program controller to "OFF" position. I had to turn off the water supply from #1 valve.

Ok, thanks.

First thing to do, is to remove the wire off of zone 6 on the controller or remove power form the controller, either one will do.

This will insure that the relay on zone 6 is not stuck and supplying power to the solenoid.

If it still has water flow, the you need to find the Zone 6 solenoid location, the problem will be the plunger is stuck in the open position.

You will have to remove the entire solenoid and valve assembly to work on it out the ground box. It is too difficult to work on them in place.

Should be able to hear the water flow by having all valve boxes open to find the actual Zone 6 valve assembly.

If there are no union fittings, you may have to just remove the plunger assembly.

If you can get the valve information off the nameplate on top, we may be able to find the appropriate diagram of the assembly and find parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure how "to remove the wire off of zone 6 on the controller or remove power form the controller, either one will do." I unplugged the power supply to the Hunter controller, but it seems it still got the power (battery inside?). How to know which wire is for Zone6?

The terminals are labeled inside the controller.

The terminal marked #6 is for the Zone 6.

Unplugging the controller is removing power, it will not run off the battery, the battery only keeps the program and time intact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did unplugged the power from the controller and nothing changed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

see the attached. there is a wire hanging in the controller, off the hook.

Attachment: 2015-05-27_232120_sprinkler_system3.pdf

Wish it was that easy.

There is no way to know what someone did when the unit was installed.

Have to follow the cable and see where it goes and then see where the orange wire connects on the other end.
Then we will know if it is needed for anything.

Not sure why the 2 yellow wires are connected to the AC terminals, those are only for the power input.

Unless they had a remote connection at one time.

It definitely has nothing to do with a Zone 6 valve staying open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are those wire connection color coded all the way to each solenoid in the ground?

There is a wireless rain sensor on my deck to disable the system when it rains.

There is no color code for wiring the systems, that is up to whoever does the installation. They can use whatever cables and wire they have on hand. Their choice.

Rain sensor is connected to other terminals. The blue and white on the 4th and 5th terminals is most likely the rain sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you find a manual or instructions for the controller installation?

Yes, the link below is for the SRC Plus controller.

Your problem however is in the valve assembly and why the need to find the actual zone valve and get the information for rebuilding the valve itself.

They are normally closed valve, so if there is no power on the valve solenoid to open the valve, the valve is stuck open mechanically not electrically.

CLICK HERE for the Manual.