How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 20317
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just moved into a custom home I had built and I have a hump

Customer Question

I just moved into a custom home I had built and I have a hump in the middle of my hardwood floor where a support beam sits. My builder says I just have to live with it because it's not that bad, but I spent ~$1M to have it built and that just doesn't seem right. Plus, I don't know if it will get worse over time. Who do I call to get a qualified second opinion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Since it sounds like your builder is uncooperative and your only recourse may be to sue then your best option would be to call a structural engineer. You want an engineer form a small shop (1 or 2 engineers). They would be the only ones likely to be interested in working for you. A typical consult will usually only cost a few hundred dollars. The weight of an engineer's assessment will carry much more weight in court and may even motivate your builder to fix this without going to court.

Related Home Improvement Questions