Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I had a deck built 2 years ago. We were trying to create an

Customer Question

i had a deck built 2 years ago. We were trying to create an outdoor living room under it. After 1 year we decided to have the area under it finished into a year road paito room and now we are having leaks when it rains. The deck on top did have a water proof membrain and flashing where it met the wall and tile on the surface. The contractor said he will re build but I dont want to go throught this again and want a Leak proof roof to protect my room. I am searching on line and wondering what is the best way to do this?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi can you decribe me the diferent layers from top to bottom of that water proof deck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was not the contractor. lol I will try to answer by looking back at the contract.
Framing then 3/4 tongue and groove sub floor. He installed ice and water shield on the deck and flashed against the brick where it attached. He then did 1/4 hardie backer and a liquid water proofer. The thinset was versa bond, and mapei ultra flex. The grout was sanded and mixed with grout dr the help with staining. The tile was Porcelin
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
I see. Every time i see something similar it always end up leaking. The seal eventually crack as wood expand and retract, being exterior, on the ceramic tiles causing puncturation of any seal.
The only way that make sense to me it to put a flat roof membrane under the deck and allow the water to go trough the deck to that membrane to collect the water (that mean a second roof or support under the deck to make a slighly inclined surface. Between the deck and the membrane, a sufficient height need to be maintained to allow for proper aeration or else any wood will rot.