AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

In the open position ..I engage the door onto chain drive

Customer Question

Hi
in the open position ..I engage the door onto chain drive near motor.
I press to close ...door will move only a foot then return to initial start position.
If I manually close door and then select close door the chain drive proceeds normally to closed position...if I then engage the Panel Lift door the door will quite happily fully open .
However if I then wish to open it ...it only travels one foot before returning to fully open position.
Please help as surrounding neighbors are getting annoyed with me trying to fix.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Please confirm the situation, as there appears to be a Typo .
You posted:
"HOWEVER..when using remote device to command door to open ...the door just moved one foot and returned to the fully open position immediately."
Is this supposed to read, when using remote device to command door to close?
The difficulty is only when going closed and the door actually connected to the trolley?
Everything works properly when the door is disconnected and close is initiated? And always work to open either way, connected or not?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tommy
Best to start from beginning....the house has been rented and I just took the house over not knowing any of its history
Confronted with a disengaged garage door I tried to make it work...using following steps:-
Using the remote without engaging the door to chain drive, I tested the full cycle of travel...worked normally.
I then connected the door ( hooked as normal into chain drive black plastic slot) in the open position ...ie connected close to motor.
On pressing the button the motor immediately reacted as it should and started pushing the door closed ( lowering door) BUT...it only moved 12"....then immediately returned the door back 12" to the fully open door position.
I then checked sensor lights ( red and green ) ..they seemed ok.
I then experimented by disconnecting door and manually shutting door, then with remote put the chain drive to closed as well. Then connected the door to the chain drive while in a fully closed position. With remote commanding door to open it worked perfectly without hesitation in a smooth operation.....Now not touching door just "remote" commanded door to close...once again it moved the door only a foot and returned to the fully open position.
Hence the only difficulty is when the door is OPEN it will not close it....it will only move it 12" ( 1 foot) of travel then return it to fully open position.
Ok, thanks for the information and the great details.
Do this:
Door fully open and connected to the trolley.
Push and HOLD the wall button, do not let go unless the door moves and then reopens or it keeps moving closed
If it moves to close, do not release the wall button until it touches the floor and then immediately release and see if it stays closed.
Let me know what happens, that will determine the next step.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same problem....when open ...what to close door it moved only one foot and returned to fully open position
Ok, thanks.
Need to make a slight adjustment to the close force limit switch.
On the side of the opener, there are 2 sets of screw adjusters.
One set is limit and the other set is force.
Turn the close force screw about 1/4 turn clockwise.
Then try the door.
No more than 1/4 turn at a time and only 4 turns total if needed.
It should all the door to close on one of those adjustments.
Apparently it is sensing some resistance and that makes it go back open.
Let's see if that takes care of the problem.
Again, only 1/4 of a screw turn at a time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tommy its working perfectly well now with one quarter turn...... thank you ever so much. I am 65 and still learning thanks to people like you teaching!
Have a good journey through life Tommy...thanks again !
Excellent, great news.
You are most welcome, and thank you.
Thanks for the opportunity to assist.
And thanks for going the small amount also, as many go way too far and that cause other issues.