Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a garage door issue (Pro drive 3222c-z). when I use

Customer Question

Hi I have a garage door issue (Pro drive 3222c-z). when I use the remote or the the wall button it goes down 2 feet than rolls back up. Then a light on the garage door opener blinks S1. I checked the manual and don't see an S1 error.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.
This sounds like a problem with the safety sensors. It can be from a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation on the eyes, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just misaligned, or loose or bad safety sensors. When the invisible beam path is obstructed or misaligned while the door is closing, the door will reverse. If the door is already open, it will not close.
The remotes will not work to close the garage door; they can only open it. When this happens, your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes. This method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door and it is also a direct clue that the sensors are the problem.
To correct the problem, you need green (sometimes amber) indicator lights in both the sending and receiving eyes and they will glow steadily if wiring connections and alignment are correct.
The sending eye indicator light will glow regardless of alignment or obstruction. If the receiving indicator light is off, dim or flickering (and the invisible light beam path is not obstructed), alignment is required.
Loosen the sending eye wing nut and re-adjust, aiming directly at the receiving eye. Lock in place.
Loosen the receiving eye wing nut and adjust sensor vertically and/ or horizontally until it receives the sender's beam. When the green indicator light glows steadily, tighten the wing nut.
1. If the sending eye indicator light does not glow steadily check for:
-Electric power to the opener.
-A short in the white or white/black wires. These can occur under staples or at screw terminal connections.
-Incorrect wiring between sensors and opener.
-An open wire (wire break).
2. If the sending eye indicator light glows steadily but the receiving eye indicator light doesn't:
-Check alignment.
-Check open wire to the receiving eye.
3. If the receiving eye indicator light is dim:
-realign either sensor.
4. Verify that the sensors are securely attached and not vibrating when the door is operating.