canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I am tiling a bathroom and bedroom: essentially an open space.

Customer Question

I am tiling a bathroom and bedroom: essentially an open space. I removed carpet in the bedroom portion and am tiling over porcelain tile in the bathroom. The whole area will be same tile. I have started in the bathroom, and as a complete novice. I believe I made the thinset too thick in the bathroom, but not going to do over. Other than using more thinset than I need to, my big problem is how to make the area from the tiled bathroom level with the tiled bedroom. I will be applying backerboard to the plywood in my bedroom and then of course the thinset. I don't think that will be high enough to be level with the bathroom. I need a good suggestion that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking will probably need to put another level of plywood down that is thick enough with the backerboard and thinset (hopefully thinner that bathroom) ugh to build it up, but is there a better way? BTW: I'm female, 62, and my husband recently had a above-knee amputation and with little $$ I MUST do this myself. Any other tips for lifting..etc, etc.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Any idea how much you will have to raise the rest of the flooring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably 3/4 to 1 inch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could be less, I hope. it is pretty typical for difference between a normal carpet floor as compared to tiled and then removing the carpet and pad, but nothing on the tile side since I'm tiling over the existing tile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then, of course, making the thinset too thick. The thickness I made the thinset is comparable to a regular pancake. I think I was regressing and making mud pies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AND, looking at youtube, I notice NOT much mess, but I'm telling you that it is a good think I'm doing all of this in grey, because my mess is worthy of prize material.
Sounds fun! The easiest way to raise the rest of the flooring would be to first add some self leveling compound. The compound will add about a 1/2 inch to the thickness of the floor.
You may have to cut the door down too. Will the bathroom door still close?
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?