littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Carpenter
Experience:  I've worked for my contractor Dad since I was 4 years old. I can help you get the job done.
63817454

How do I change the frequency on a sears craftsman model 139.53615sr

Customer Question

How do I change the frequency on a sears craftsman model 139.53615sr 1/2 hp garage opener? My neighbors can open my garage.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for entrusting me with your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert tab to reply to me in the reply box that pops open or, if the reply box is showing, just type your reply to me there. And please don't forget to rate me positive when we are finished. Let's get you fixed up so you can be on your way. Depending on if you have the variation with the switches at the receiver or not, there are different instructions for these. Click here, and take a look at page 19. Set all of your remotes to the same settings, then set your receiver to that setting. Let me know if you have any trouble.
Here is the link to the manual, click here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have viewed those instructions and followed them. But they do not seem to be instructions for clearing all the codes, just for adding new codes. My neighbor can still open my garage after doing what is on page 19. Also, there do not seem to be any switches to toggle on the garage unit. We opened it up and found no switches anywhere. So it would appear there is no way to clear the code that my neighbor is using. That is what I need help with. I was hoping for more help than just read the manual.
Well that is where the instructions are, I'm an expert in identifying the problem, and locating the instructions to fix it. Did your receiver look like the picture on the left on page 19?
Those switches change the transmit frequency. The trick is to change the frequency, and it will be unique to your neighbor. Have you looked into changing your neighbor's code? It may be easier than yours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, mine looks like the picture on the left, with no switches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be clear, my remotes have switches but the garage opener unit has none.
Ok, that's what I needed to know. Do you see the button? That is a smart learning receiver. Set your switches on your remote to something different than before. Now press the SR code button inside the receiver so that the light lights up. Take a couple steps back from the receiver, press the open button on the remote, and the light will go out.Tell me the results.
That will pair your receiver with your new transmitter frequency, and should fix the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That indeed pairs a new frequency, buy doesn't clear any of the old ones. After doing that, all of my remotes, new and old, and the neighbor's still works. So that just adds a new code but doesn't clear any old ones. And I may have more than one neighbor who can open my garage, so I need to be able to clear out all the old codes.
That is not how it is designed. The reason it asks you to switch all of your remotes to the same switch settings is because it will only take one frequency at a time. It doesn't store old frequencies. You have something in your area that is transmitting RF on that frequency. It could be anything from a high voltage power line nearby, radio antenna, even a ceiling fan, or a blender transmits broad spectrum RF. Look at the light when you press the button. Does it blink quickly? It should. It flashes when it detects RF, and it will blink slowly for a weak signal, quickly for a strong signal. Study that for a bit, and let me know what you are seeing. It could be a sensitivity issue, that it's picking up everything around you with no filter.
If you find that it's acting abnormally, disconnect the push button opener at the wall, and see if it still happens. It could be a faulty wall button, or wire to the opener acting as an antenna. RF does some pretty unusual stuff. If it fixes the problem when it's disconnected, you'll need to inspect your wiring, and possibly replace the wall button.