AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

I have A vintage safe with an Yale dial combination lock, I

Customer Question

I have A vintage safe with an Yale dial combination lock, I think I have the correct numbers for the combination but not sure of the dialing sequence. can you help?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Can you find the Model number of the safe for verification of the specifics?
You may have tried this, but please do try again if so.
Basic dialing sequence for most Yale locks is:
4 times right to the first number,stop at the number on the 4th time
3 times left to the second number,stop at the number on the 3rd time
2 times right to the third number,stop at the number on the 2nd time
1 time left until the dial stops (between 0-10).
DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.
It is easy to get confused on the attempts on the different numbers for all the 6 possible combinations, so write them all down and check them off at each try.
See if that opens,
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a number stamped on the handle, not sure if it's the model or s/n. # *****
Thanks.Unfortunately, the dials number did not lead to anything more.We have to remember with items this old, the only way they kept records was by hand and so much is lost over the years, even with Yale lock company.The dial could easily have lost some of the stop points over the years and made the combination a slight bit off the number.That creates another huge scenario unfortunately. I would try 3 times to the left to start and not the standard 4 times and see.It may take an older individual who has lock experience from years past at a local Locksmith company to get into the safe. Then there is no guarantee they would even be able to with the design of the old safes.Due to the age, it makes for a difficult situation.If you do not know what is inside, they can easily drill and bore scope to get a look.Wish it was an easier solution.