Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp

Can you please explain the difference in a 4 ton ac vs a 4

Can you please explain the difference in a 4 ton ac vs a 4 ton heat pump ac. Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 8 months ago.

Theplumber717 :

the dif, is only that a straight ac works in one direction. Meaning it works in cool mode, to remove heat/humidity from the air in summer. The heat pump works both directions, meaning it does the same thing as the ac in summer, but in the winter it reverses and can instead of removing heat in summer, can add it to the house in winter for heating. its like throwing ac in reverse (Its not like it is) the heat pump can take advantage in mild climates by doing this, below a certain temp, usually a aux heat system electric, or gas heating takes over

Theplumber717 :

if you have more questions on this just reply and i will reply back, thanks gary

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Are heat pump systems more efficient than a regular ac. And, are they the ones that you have to run a sprinkler because it uses water?

no sprinkler, and they are the same as an ac in summer, depending if you are in a mild climate (not to cold) you save money in the winter, meaning you are not running a electric furnace, or gas as much. the water you speak of is geothermal. (Thats not a sprinkler, but piped to water, if you truly meant a sprinkler, thats a gimmick used to spray the outside condenser, and is a gimmick)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We are in NE Florida and even though the past 2 winters have been no lower than 25 degrees at times, we have had very cold winters down to 17 - 19, for a few days at a time. Will the heat pump work for us.

yes, perfectly
Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Lastly, Are they more expensive than a regular ac?

Yes, but because they are more involved, with more parts, but from where you say you are you will benefit, its why they exist (your climate)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Gotcha. The unit we are replacing was a 10 seer 3 1/2 ton. The home is 2200 Sq ft. We are trying to decide if the duct work can handle a 14 seer 4 ton unit. It is a mobile home. Your advice?

You should have a load calc done? that is the best way to determine what tonnage you need. And at that time, the installer should evaluate your duct work, to see if it is indeed in size. From my experience though, mobile ductwork is always undersized, which is why its more important to have the installer do a load calc to find what is right for your install. (The installer should do this before ordering, installing any equipment, just tell them you want one if he does not)
Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech