Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp
63005973

Does it matter where I install a sump pump? My foundation wall

Does it matter where I install a sump pump? My foundation wall on the south side of the house moved after some serious rain last year. I have a good portion of floor removed about 30' on the opposite side of the basement for a sewer line repair. Do I need to install the pump at the wall that has the issue or will it be ok where the floor is already taken out? My instinct says to install it at the moving wall. Thanks!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 1 year ago.

Theplumber717 :

your best bet is to install where the low spot, or as you stated the wall problem

Theplumber717 :

i always drill holes in the pit, every 2", and make the hole for the pit 1' bigger

Theplumber717 :

then fill around the pit with pea gravel or river rock so the pit can filter mud

Customer:

So it'll have 6" of gravel on the sides and 12" of gravel at the bottom?

Theplumber717 :

when you pipe it out make sure you get it away from the house so it does not just end back up in the pit (a never ending cycle)

Customer:

Where the floor is already torn up is the low spot in the basement. There is a floor drain a few feet away.

Customer:

If I put it where I have the floor out already I was going to pipe it to the 6" main line going out

Theplumber717 :

if you do not drill the bottom of the sump, gravel if its there is fine but not needed, you need to have gravel around the pit since you drilled holes and so it does not fill with mud

Customer:

I'm just conflicted because it's the low spot by the real issue seems to be on the other side of the house

Theplumber717 :

if the concrete you have removed is the problem spot, then i would place it there, its the best spot

Theplumber717 :

is it dirt/clay under the slab? or pea gravel

Customer:

The problem area is on the opposite side of the basement. Approx 30' away

Theplumber717 :

the existing im talking about

Theplumber717 :

where the slab is still there

Customer:

Clayish and I'd say 25% gravel

Theplumber717 :

if its gravel, even being far from the problem wall, it will migrate to the pit before it builds up at the wall

Theplumber717 :

so most likely you can put it in the open spot

Customer:

Haven't noticed any water coming up where the floor is dug out but it's only about 8" deep below the slab surface

Theplumber717 :

you also need to figure out why that wall is a problem spot

Theplumber717 :

does the ground pitch towards that wall?

Customer:

I had issues before and had a company put up beams but our last rainy season caused more movement

Theplumber717 :

are there gutters and placed so they remove the water from the wall?

Customer:

I've improved the gutter draining after this issue

Theplumber717 :

does the ground outside that wall slope away from it or back towards it

Customer:

I guess after thinking more about it with better gutter drainage and the sump at the lowest point I should be good

Theplumber717 :

yes

Customer:

Slopes away slightly and downhill yard

Theplumber717 :

if you have garvel under slab it should migrate to the sump

Theplumber717 :

getting water away from the house is first priority

Customer:

Ok. Thank you. Suggestions on what to buy? I'm headed to home depot here soon

Theplumber717 :

i sump pit (about $30 with lid, a sump pump, 1 1/2" pvc pipe, 1 1/2" check valv, a few 1 1/2" 90's glue cleaner)

Theplumber717 :

gravel if needed

Theplumber717 :

flex hose 1 1/2" to get the pump water removed awya from house

Customer:

Can I just pipe the drain to my main sewer line? That's like 2 feet away from the pit

Theplumber717 :

thats against code, and you could be fined, depends on your city

Customer:

Weird. I figured that would be best.

Theplumber717 :

will it work? yes, but its against code in most areas

Theplumber717 :

its because the sewer treatment plant would be treating water that does not need to be treated

Theplumber717 :

and overloading sewer in rainy times

Theplumber717 :

sewer needs treated not ground water

Customer:

I see. Ok. How far from the house should I run the hose?

Theplumber717 :

if you have a good downsloap of yard a few feet, you just want to get it to the downward slope

Theplumber717 :

so it does not come back

Customer:

Ok. I'll give it a go. Thank you

Theplumber717 :

your welcome

Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp