Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Working on a sears garage door opener only 2 to 3 years old

Working on a sears garage door opener only 2 to 3 years old for a friend, have alot of home repair experence but not a door opener, the opener was buzzing when button pressed but no movement in chain and seamed like things were jammed. The door had been unattached from the chain "latch" so door would open and close by hand easly, also was unpluged to protect motor. After process of elimination, taking cover off, freeing chain from drive sproket, plugged unit back in and tried. Motor and sproket were fine but what I noticed was it has the plastic screw adjustments to adjust for travel up and down, on one adjustment as the metal tab made contact it just traveled right threw so the limit did not stop motor, would explain why chain and latch were tight and jamed. (think but not positive this was the down limit) when reversing the motor with button it reverses fine, would reach the other limit stop for a moment reverse it's travel for 3 seconds, stop and then reverse back to the limit and stop completely. In my unprofessional thought process, I would think the problem is in the computer board, which if it is and the cost for part and house call by sears, friend may as well buy a new unit, just wondering if there is something I'm unawhere of that I can save this person money and trouble. ( note.. there was a lightening protector at the outlet box that should have protected it from a serge, wondering can those protectors get hit with a serge and not protect it after that or are they always in good working order.
The circuit board is not really that expensive.
You can order one on line and from as much as you
have done already you shouldn't have any trouble
replacing the board.

I will be glad to a swear any other questions you may
have.

Machinc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello David Machado,

So your saying that it is the circuit board that needs replaced, or your best asumpsion from what I decribed. In calling Sears they told me it would be 100 to 120 for new board and that 's not including the 89.00 to drive up to house. She only paid 150 new. I do agree it only looks like 4 screws to get it out, do you know if there will be any resoildering on wires, and going online to find it where should I look amazon, ebay, etc or right to a sears parts place. The other question I had asked in my first letter about the surge protector do they go bad if hit, how can I tell if that is good, so not to spend time and money and then it happen again. Thanks for your time...................Sam N Sr.

With the figures you have given me a new one would be a better investment.
As far as the surge protector it looks like if it is
still working it didn't really protect.
A new opener will totally eliminate your problems
and that is why on certain items warranty
companies replace rather than repair.

Get them to give you the old stuff and you
can probably make a few bucks off of those
also.

Best

Machinc
If you have any other questions I will
be glad to help
Machinc