Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have scheduled a 3rd party painter to paint the exterior

We have scheduled a 3rd party painter to paint the exterior of the house. We plan to use Sherwin Williams paint. We are in the Denver area. The painters have been delayed and say they can paint the house now. From looking at the Sherwin Williams paint site, they indicate you should not paint the house unless it can dry for 48 hours at a temperature of 50 degrees or higher for that 48 hours. In Denver for this time of year, the temperatures will drop in the 30s - 40s in the evening.
Recommendations?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Painters tend to push the envelope this time of year. I'd wait until Spring

Customer:

We have some bare wood trim that was installed. If we wait until Spring, what should we do with the bare wood. I understand that paint should be applied to primer within a short amount of time otherwise there is a problem of the paint adhering to the primer.

Rick :

Waiting 5 or 6 months won't hurt your bare wood. I wouldn't prime it either. Any painting this time of year is too risky where you are

Rick :

We routinely wait until Spring to paint even if we install un-primed exterior wood trim. I'm in NH. It's been in the 20's a few nights lately

Customer:

Should we caulk around the un-primed wood?

Rick :

If you need to caulk then you can do that now. Many paintable caulks can cure at temps down to 20 some even lower

Customer:

thanks for the information

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/