The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

Is there a maximum allowable gap between sheets of plywood?

Is there a maximum allowable gap between sheets of plywood? When the roofers were replacing my old roof, they needed to replace a sheet of plywood that had rotted. In doing so, they broke off about 2" to 2 1/2" of the next board which actually runs under a dormer window. Now, if I stand in the unfinished attic I can see straight through that gap to the flashing. I'm concerned that a hard driving rain can blow underneath the flashing. Is there any code on the maximum gap between pieces of sheathing?

Hi and welcome.
If you can see flashing then they need to come back out and fix it!!
There should be a 1/8" gap, for expansion of the material, between pieces of roof sheathing, but no more.
The flashing and roofing material should keep the rain out. My concern would be in about 5 years after a few good hot summers when the tin and roofing material begin to expand and contract without the support under them in that spot. It can be a very real potential for a leak.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Best, Smitty