Machinc
Machinc , General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I tested radon level with Short-term test kit in my home 3

I tested radon level with Short-term test kit in my home 3 times in a span of 1 month at different places and at different dates . First i tested in the furnace room in my unfurnished part of basement which has cement floor and is totally closed and no ventilation , its result was 6 . Next i tested in the finished & furnished part of my basement bedroom , its result was 3.2 . The last i tested in the living room of first floor where we spend most of the time as we mainly live on first floor , its result was 2.2 . Thus , overall average in home is 3.8 . Please clarify me about the following :

(1) Is it ok or any risk if i keep some of my home stuff like clothes , Grocery , Footwear ,etc in the furnace or mechanical room where radon level was 6 ?

(2) Should i keep the door of my Furnace Room or Mechanical Room in basement close all the time ?

(3) What is generally the radon level in outside atmosphere in USA specially in my State of MN ?

(4) Does it help to reduce the radon in a home if we run an Air Purifier or Furnace or Air Conditioner or Dehumidifier, etc. ?

(5) When Radon is in ground , then why it does not hurt the Plants & Trees growing on land and their roots are deep in ground ?

(6) Considering my radon tests results above , should i ignore and assume the radon level normalin my home ?

(7) What is the difference between Radon Mitigation System to install and the Radon AIR Exchanger to install ?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
1..I would not keep anything in the furnace
room that you wear , ingest , or play with.
2. Yes. It would be best to keep the door closed.

3 the national outdoor average is ..40

4. There are special units that can help

5. Radon does not affect plants the way it does
humans and other mammals.

6. Radon levels should be professionally tested
and recommendations made if any for preventive
measures.
7. The mitigation and air exchange are installed
according to physical space and the level of radon
to be dealt with.

Some federal recommendations for acceptable in houseboy
levels are 4.0 .
It is worth the peace of mind to have your home
professionally tested and then install the recommended
measures if any.

Machinc
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
http://www.radon.com/radon/radon_levels.html

http://www.radon.com/radon/radon_FAQ.html

These are two sites with helpful information
about radon.

Machinc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already have read much about Radon . I am consulting here for my few doubts in detailed answer . Please give me detailed explanation for :

(1) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , Why is it not safe to keep groceries, clothes or other things in furnace or mechanical room which is a very big room in my basement for storage ?

(2) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , why closing the door will be beneficial ?

(3) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , I don't understand what does ..40 means ?

(4) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , I know there are many other methods out there , but does it help to reduce the radon in a home if we run an Air Purifier or Furnace or Air Conditioner or Dehumidifier, etc. ?

(5) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , Based on my testing results I need your advice or how an average person should take these results ?

(6) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , which is less expensive or which is most appropriate in my case as my radon level is within normal range ?

Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
Radon is suspect as a cause of cancer. The basement r

Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
Sorry my answer didn't post(1) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , Why is it not safe to keep groceries, clothes or other things in furnace or mechanical room which is a very big room in my basement for storage ?Radon is suspect as a cause of cancer. The basement tested 6that is a high enough level to contaminate items stored there.(2) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , why closing the door will be beneficial ?Closing the door will keep contaminated dust outof the rest of the house.(3) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , I don't understand what does ..40 means ?sorry for the typo. that is .4 or 4/10(4) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , I know there are many other methods out there , but does it help to reduce the radon in a home if we run an Air Purifier or Furnace or Air Conditioner or Dehumidifier, etc. ? Running these will help.(5) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , Based on my testing results I need your advice or how an average person should take these results ? I would seek professional help.The EPA recommend taking steps to improvea home that has readings of 4 or higher .(6) In regard with my Q # XXXXX , which is less expensive or which is most appropriate in my case as my radon level is within normal range ? Mitigation is usually the most expensive.but air exchange units can have monthly charges( increase in electrical bill)! Operating costs.It would take an opinion from a professional as to which is the best method for your circumstances.MachincDavid Machado
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your detailed answer . Going to accept it with excellent . Please clarify :

I understand that open or loose things might get contaminated but is the packed things ok to keep in mechanical room of basement like company packed air tight groceries , Clothes packed in plastic totes , Stationary , Books , Luggage Duffels , Paper sheets , etc. ?

Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
I would say yes to those.
Dust them off before opening.
Best wishes

Machinc
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
If you have any other questions I will
be glad you to help.
Machinc