Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have 3 large sliding glass doors in 1 small room. As the

I have 3 large sliding glass doors in 1 small room. As the weather cools down they develop lots of condensation on glass as well as along metal tracks next to my new pine floors. How can I prevent this water build up esp along tracks abutting pine flooring?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 10 months ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Condensation occurs when warm moist air hits a cool surface. To eliminate the condensation you need to eliminate one of the two or both: Reduce the moisture in the warm air or warm the cool surface.

Condensation and possibly frost on the windows/ doors is a sign that the humidity is too high in your house. The humidity or water vapor in the air is caused by humans respiration and perspiration, showering, bathing, cooking, gas appliances, washer and dryer, plumbing leaks, exposed dirt crawlspaces, indoor pools/ spas, fishtanks, greenhouses with plants, etc. All of these add up and dump water vapor into the air, but there are ways to control it and it is best to start with the larger sources of moisture.

Using ventilation all the time will help; always use exhaust fans when showering and cooking and verify that they are exhausted directly to the outdoors. A dehumidifier can help pull moisture out of the air, as well. If you currently use a humidification system, I would stop using it. Dryer vent needs to exhaust to the outdoors. Let me know if you have a dirt crawlspace because that can dump large amounts of water vapor into the air and I can tell you how to reduce it.

The humidity should be between 30 and 60 percent in a residence. You can purchase an inexpensive hygrometer at a local hardware store to measure the indoor humidity. Use this to monitor the humidity levels in your house and reduce the moisture sources that I mentioned above. In addition you can increase the heat in that room to try to warm the cool surfaces of the doors.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question.
Best of Luck, Brian

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Brian for your help. Since I have very large fish tanks (300G, 240G + 155G) just an open stairwell away from this room I'm assuming they are the culprit, along with too cool a temp in that room. I'll take your advice & see what works best for my situation.

Expert:  Brian replied 10 months ago.
Great Susan......good luck with it!
Brian, Architect