Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am moving into a home in the dead of a Maine winter with

Customer Question

I am moving into a home in the dead of a Maine winter with obviously frozen ground. I am moving from Europe with my large dog. This may be a stupid question but I am unsure.... There is a large 6 ft privacy fence in place that may be rotted and is only partially enclosing the back yard (I do not know if any is salvageable). Can a totally new fence be installed enclosing the back yard with frozen ground or would this have to wait until spring? I also wanted to fence the front as well with 4 ft fencing.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Installing a fence really isn't practical in the middle of winter in Maine. It could be done but nobody does it because it would greatly increase the labor costs. Snow and ice would have to be cleared, digging the post holes would require a jack hammer. If you want to let you dog out to run around in the yard you could install a run for the dog which is simply running a cable from the house to a tree. You then attached a line to the cable and the dog can run along the length of the run

Customer:

Okay I appreciate that as I thought you would say wait till spring. What would be the earliest I could get this done? I also wanted to have a large outdoor building put up in the back yard for a home office, this should wait till spring as well right?

Customer:

Sorry when I say spring I am not sure when that hits there.

Rick :

Yes both projects are best left until spring. Depending on where in Maine, the frost is out of the ground (when you can start your project) sometime in April, maybe late March in Southern Maine

Customer:

There is no problem having an indoor wood stove installed though right? The only thing going outside would be the vent right? I want to do that right away.

Rick :

Yes you should be able to install a wood stove.

Customer:

ok thanks