Edward
Edward, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed contractor and advanced journey trained carpenter, with 30+ years experience. Enjoy helping others with my expertise.
75805883

I have a craftsman 3/4 hp opener that has stopped operating.

Customer Question

I have a craftsman 3/4 hp opener that has stopped operating. When the door is closed and the remote is pressed, the door will open about 3-5 inches and stop. When the button is pressed again, it goes down and then back to the 3-5 inches open position and stops. I've adjusted the opening force with no change and removed the cover and all gears appear intact. Suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward :

may I ask to clarify you detached the garage door from the trolly of the opener and the door works smoothly?

Edward :

smoothly and the force on the door does not change?

Customer:

correct - works smoothly when not connected and holds half way up which makes me think the spring is in proper adjustment.

Edward :

I agree

Customer:

not sure what you mean by force of the door does not change though

Edward :

and you checked the force and limit adjustments according to the manuel?

Edward :

well as you lift the door you do not need to exert more force at a certain position of the door while opening it

Customer:

yes - up force was well below half way and I cranked it up to 9 (scale of 10) with no change

Edward :

How old is the opener if I may ask

Customer:

OK, did not notice any diff in force needed at any point opening it manually. opener is probably 6 years old, give or take

Edward :

I am wondering if the force adjustment is no longer working

Customer:

my confusion is why it only goes part way up and keeps returning to that same position

Edward :

you mentioned you replaced the springs???? I may ask that you used the same size spring you had to replace

Edward :

and did you replace both sides with new springs?

Customer:

believe the old springs were orange; new are brown but was told by sales guy that these were appropriate for the size/weight of the door. Yes, both springs were replaced

Edward :

hmmmmmmm

Edward :

where did you purchase the springs?

Customer:

my experience is that if the door will hold half way up, springs are appropriate. springs were purchased at Menards.

Edward :

did you get them from a actual garage door company?

Customer:

old spring broke late on a Saturday afternoon - Menards had them in stock.

Edward :

well yes I agree with you for the most part but they could be just a wee bit either too strong or too weak for the opener not the door

Edward :

especially they are brand new and have the max tension on them

Edward :

unlike an older spring which has started to wear

Edward :

hene the broken spring

Edward :

may I ask....... how old do you think the springs are and how long is the difference between the age of the springs and when the opener was installed

Customer:

if they're adjusted correctly for the weigh of the door, it shouldn't matter though, should it?

Customer:

springs had to be original - 25 years old

Customer:

opener was brand new 6 years ago

Edward :

so there is approx 20 yr difference between both

Customer:

well, springs are new now so only about 6 years diff

Edward :

im sorry what I meant was the original springs had 20 years wear on them before you installed the opener

Customer:

oh, yes, that's correct

Edward :

plus I think the color code very well might have an issue here

Edward :

unless its a cross reference with color codes

Edward :

but I have a feeling the springs might be the culprit regardless if they feel right to you as the opener might feel the door differently than your arm

Customer:

I keep going back to if the springs are holding the door at the halfway point, it shouldn't make a difference.

Customer:

is it possible there's something in the trolley stripped out??

Edward :

well I just looked up the spring color code

Edward :

there is a good difference to the springs orange to brown

Edward :

http://www.dasma.com/PDF/Publications/TechDataSheets/CommercialResidential/TDS171.pdf

Edward :

thats the site you can see the difference is size of coil on the spring

Edward :

so I am sorry to disagree but I would return the spring for the original color code and take it from there

Customer:

there are multiple orange and browns listed here - I'm afraid I've never read one of these before.

Customer:

how do you tell which orange and which brown to compare?

Edward :

yes there are but thats what makes me concernedwith the fact this door worked untill you changed the spprings

Customer:

I thought diameter of the ones we replaced were the same as the new

Edward :

there seems to be more than just the diameter it seems

Customer:

it worked for 2+ weeks after replacing the springs too - what would it make it stop working suddenly?

Edward :

the tension of the coil is an issue as well

Edward :

oh

Edward :

i missed that part

Edward :

forgive me

Customer:

sorry, I thought I'd mentioned - I may not have

Edward :

another question

Edward :

does the trolly run fully back and forth ( up and down) with the door disconnected?

Customer:

yes

Edward :

can you assist the door to open fully if you push it up?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

if someone presses the remote and I help it along, it'll go up

Edward :

hmmmmm see with that said I am wondering some how some way that I can not explain that the springs are involved in this

Customer:

can something be worn in the track and/or trolley to cause a problem?

Customer:

when there's a load on it when initially lifting?

Edward :

unfortunately with out to actually see it it s hard to say but yes there is that possibility as well

Edward :

which again could have happened because a different spring was used versus the original

Edward :

how heavy do you think the door is?

Customer:

it's a 16x7 metal insulated

Customer:

really no idea

Edward :

another question if I may I am not familiar with the store you purchased the springs from are they a reputable garage door dealer?

Customer:

they're basically like home depot/lowes - box home improvement store

Edward :

ok

Customer:

just guessing on the weight of the door but probably area of 200lbs or so

Edward :

if you were able to see the site I sent you it has a caution note on the bottom about spring color and size

Edward :

do you have a reputable garage door dealer in your area?

Customer:

yes, unfortunately they were closed when the old spring broke

Edward :

because that would be my only suggestion is to either return the springs for the orange color matching the original size

Edward :

then maybe visit the garage door store

Edward :

I have a strong feeling that the springs are in correct and even tho the door worked for 2 weeks the fact could very well be the new springs might have dislocated something in the track or set off the limit adjustment in the closer

Customer:

OK. I'm wondering if we should check the track/trolley for any issues before going to the trouble of returning/replacing springs.

Edward :

it actually might have taken the 2 weeks for it to go out of wack so to speak

Customer:

OK, we'll can give it a shot

Edward :

I do not disagree but you will have to have someone press the button and you assist the door up and have someone stand on a ladder to watch the track

Customer:

right

Edward :

Im sorry I was not of better help

Customer:

weird situation, I know

Edward :

this is one of those situations you kind of need to see to evaluate the situation

Customer:

assume most people have not replaced their own springs

Edward :

I have and replace the bottom section of the wood garage door at the saem time

Edward :

same

Customer:

ugh

Edward :

but I purchased the parts from my local garage door dealer

Edward :

there was a opener on that as well and had no issues

Edward :

except it was a pain in the butt

Customer:

ha - I'm sure!

Edward :

again Im sorry for not being more definitive with my answer here

Edward :

I am still leaning towards the springs here

Customer:

no problem - I'll figure something out.

Edward :

but I would be very interested in hearing how you rectified this problem

Edward :

best of luck to you

Edward :

if there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to contact me

Customer:

thanks - will do

Edward :

be well

Edward :

good night

Customer:

likewise

Edward, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed contractor and advanced journey trained carpenter, with 30+ years experience. Enjoy helping others with my expertise.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Bill,
Glad I was able to give you some suggestions about your garage door. Would love to hear how things turn out. Thank you.
Ed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're not going to believe this and I feel like a moron admitting it but I was adjusting the close force, not the open force. Open force was almost at the minimum setting so when this was adjusted a bit, the door worked fine.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hi No need to feel that way EVERYONE makes errors like that....Main thing is you got the door to work properly I am happy for you congrats if there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to contact me