Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Hello. Weve had a 14K Kohler generator installed just off

Hello. We've had a 14K Kohler generator installed just off our back porch on a slab. My only complaint are the wires that are in hoses are exposed to the elements, about 4 feet from deck to generator. My brother thinks they should have buried these when doing the install. They have the hoses mounted on blocks of wood and these hoses are right off the ground so they have a good bit of dried mud on them. I'm surprised the electrical inspector passed it. Any ideas?Thanks!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the wires .
Place them in plastic conduit
Route to generator with proper fittings
Re- connect wires to generator
( note place the wires through
the conduit an fittings as you go
instead of trying to fish it through finished
Conduit)

David. Machado
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks but these hoses that the wires travel through ARE plastic conduit,I think, but they are not BURIED and we have a big tree in the yard. Thats what I need to know.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
So you don't want to bury because of roots
is what I'm assuming .
If these smaller conduits can be removed
and all the wires routed through a larger conduit
the larger conduit can be buried just below
or placed at ground level.
It wouldn't have to be buried to the specifications
Of buried wire and the wires would be protected by the
one larger conduit.
F it can't be fully buried it can be burned
and the ground level raised with fill dirt
and top soil to cover it .

David Machado
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 1 year ago.
They also carry plastic tubing that is slice and you can put the wiring in there. NO I would not have approved it during inspection. But if you are going to bury it. I would use regular full metal pipping. And, your fine diggin that in keep it marked. and make sure you all wires completely insultated as stated by David
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
The metal is stronger but there
is plastic that is approved and easier to work
with.

Hope you get this worked out
.
David Machado
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back to see if you have any more
questions.

David Machado
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Can you post a picture of the items in question please?

Easier to see the situation and provide a valid assessment.

Use the paper clip icon on the tool bar for pictures to be added or the easiest way is to upload the picture from your PC to tinypic.com

They will give you a link to the picture and then post the link here.

It sounds like you have flexible conduit from the generator to the house, and that is VERY common and safe. It is by the National Electric Code and is found everyday.
It is made in 2 different types, one of which is metal encased.

It is used for above ground electrical connections and does NOT get buried by any means.

Take a look at your air conditioner outside, it has the flexible conduit installed, as 95% of homes in America do, see if it is the same style.

There is no harm that can come to the wiring or problems with that type of install if done properly by code.

The picture will provide the information needed for the installation. If the site was inspected by electrical authority, I am most certain it is installed properly.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a picture.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Hope the solution I gave you for your problem
Is simething you can use.

If you have any other questions I will be glad
to answer them.

David Machado
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
I believe your question was more about cosmetic
than meeting the code.
You can do both with the solution I have offered.
For that short a run conduit can be buried six
inches . When back filled because digging
Interferes with roots six inches is no problem

David Machado

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all the answers provided. If I contact an electrician to disconnect hoses,wires , dig trench and bury in conduit to protect from possible falling limbs from adjacent tree during a storm......about how much would an electrician charge?Thanks and sorry for the wait!

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
It's really hard to say .
Rates are so different.
Usually materials x2
so if 175 in materials
About the same for
labor or 35 /45 an
Hour. Really rough
guess $500.00
Labor and materials. But please
don't hold anyone to that on my say so.
Thanks

David Machado
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks David...pretty much what I thought. My ? is: Why didn't the electrician bury them in the first place?

Also, our gen just got through its 20 min exercise phase and why does it sound so choppy, popping and not a nice steady motor running sound? I realize it starts at the low frequency and ramps up for 5 minutes before shutting off but this is not from that. I am no expert but what SHOULD the motor sound like? I expected from a 14K Kohler a nice smooth running sound, not all this "popcorn" sound. Any thoughts?Thanks!

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Most likely missed communication on the installation.

The popping can be coming from

Machine not being settled in or
switches operating under load .
Watch and call back for service if it doesn't
clear up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.....Could it also be he took the easy way out?

I've asked and had them come out....they tweaked this and that and it still sounds crappy......What SHOULD it sound like?

Thanks!

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
It should run smooth but they are louder
than expected and rev up and down
to compensate for the load.
If it is having trouble it will shut down.

David Machado
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience: Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.