MsBabyD
MsBabyD, Building Inspector
Experience:  31 years experience Certified home inspector with 34 specialty certifications.

I am planning on installing a new gas line inside my home to

I am planning on installing a new gas line inside my home to run to my outdoor generator, but have a few general questions before I proceed.
1. I have a meter outside from AMERICAN METER COMPANY. It says AC 250 @ 1/2 diff, what does this mean?
2. Why would there be a 1 inch gas line coming off my meter with a 90 degree elbow that reduces to a 3/4 pipe before entering my home?
3. Once inside, the 3/4 pipe tees off to another 3/4 pipe to my kitchen stove/dishwater/dryer. But then, the pipe reduces to a 1/2 pipe, then back to a 3/4, then to 1" to my furnace(Weil Mclain CGI Gold 2 Series) and hot water heater. Is enough gas getting past the 1/2 connection to my boiler/hot water heater? Why would the 1/2 decrease be necessary? thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 9 months ago.

msbabyd :

The reasom gas lines are deceased is to adjust to the input value of the appliance

msbabyd :

The in coming line is usually 1" then if your appliance in house are 1/2 so instead of doing it right before the appliance the lower to the gas flow reduces and doest try to give and hard push to close to the aplliance

msbabyd :

more a safety precaution.

Customer:

what about the meter ?

msbabyd :

it adjust with increase or decrease to adapt to the applaince

msbabyd :

The meter is taking in 1" correct

Customer:

yes

msbabyd :

It should come in at the flow of 1"

Customer:

well, 1" or 1` 1/4" not sure

msbabyd :

So you have the amount of gas flow actually need for either appliance if your doing it your self make sure you turn of you main value vour gas. The attach you new pipe and after you have to completely attach you soap water on joint to check for leaks it will bubble on the joints if there is

msbabyd :

if there is a leak it will bubblw

msbabyd :

reduce the pipe as need this is not something unusal

msbabyd :

Also you can buy a in expensive gas leak detector to double check your work. Where you more concern about the decrease in increase of the pipes? That very normal

Customer:

I am trying to figure if I have enough gas flow based on the 250 meter? Or do I need to upgrade? The generator specs are 100,000 btus/hour requiring a 3/4 line (bc it will attach in the other side of house opposite side of meter). Somewhere on the inside I will been to tee off to a 3/4 line

msbabyd :

You have enough

msbabyd :

BTU is British Thermal Units. Actually just mean the heating elements it has nothing to do with the gas input. If you use the right inlet you should be fine. It will take a moment to get to the unit at first put once supplied should be fine. Are you running a direct line. Or are you splitting of from another line

Customer:

Can u explain? I have added up all my gas appliances for a total of 288,000 + 100,000 for generator, total 388,000

msbabyd :

For natural gas

• In natural gas, by convention 1 MMBtu (1 million BTU) = 1.054615 GJ.[verification needed]

• The energy content (high or low heating value) of a volume of natural gas varies with the composition of the natural gas, which means there is no universal conversion factor for the number of BTU to volume. 1 standard cubic foot of typical natural gas yields ≈ 1030 BTU (between 1010 BTU and 1070 Btu, depending on quality, when burned)

• As a coarse approximation, 1000 ft3 of natural gas yields ≈ 1 MMBtu ≈ 1 GJ

msbabyd :

Because all you united will not be on all at once. And the supply coming in when full will supply adequate gas to the appliance needed

Customer:

does this help ...my WC is between 4-8, and I have 60lbs of pressure in my area

msbabyd :

could help alot

msbabyd :

are you running a separate line completely?

msbabyd :

Did that help

Customer:

On the backside of my house my is where my dryer is with a 1/2 gas line. Original plan was just to tee of my dryer for the temp gas generator line. However, I was told that the 1/2 line would not be adequate, and that I would need a 3/4 bc of the distance. So, I was gonna run tee off the 3/4, and a 30ft CSST line? Sound good? Need to send u a pix, how?

msbabyd :

What is this going off of Being a generator and taking a large volume of gas I would limit what you have going off of it. How hard is it to have it on line?

Customer:

what?

msbabyd :

Csst is what you should go off of

msbabyd :

CSST is much less expensive to install

than black iron gas pi

pe, and as a result,

CSST has been installed in millions upon millions of homes across the U.S.

– The real problem

: CSST is so thin-walled that

it creates a significant fire hazard

anywhere it is installed.

CSST gas line is extremely thin, with walls typically around 0.008" in thickness. Black

iron gas pipe is typically 0.12" in thickness. Pu

t another way, the walls of black iron pipe are 15

times thicker than the walls of CSST tubing. When this is considered, perhaps it is not

surprising that the amount of el

ectrical energy needed to defeat traditional black iron pipe is

about 15 times more than the energy needed to defeat the much thinner walls of CSST tubing.

When electrical energy from lightning is

conducted through CSST tubing, electrical

arcing can be created between the CSST and any grounded metallic object, as the lightning

energy seeks a ground source. This arcing can instantaneously burn a small hole, ranging from

the size of a pin-head to a pencil eraser, right th

rough the very thin wall of the CSST. The arcing

event can easily ignite the escaping gas being ca

rried by the CSST, which can then serve as a

blow-torch with an endless gas fuel source more than sufficient to ignite nearly any type of

structure.
msbabyd :

You would be working directly with you gas source. Yes I would use it. But make sure like I said that the gas is turned off. and use was gas is in the line then do you new piping. When you are done leave all exposed open after attached open up the line and check for all joint leaks if your good close it up and your good to go. As a inspector I have gas testing meter. But you can buy them pretty cheap. But soap water works well because it will bubble up. You should be fine once you have it complete

msbabyd :

Did that help you?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok, so where do u think i should put the 3/4 tee to the 30 ft of CSST? see pix

msbabyd :

let me look hold on

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

msbabyd :

OK and what size is the inlet for the generator inlet

Customer:

bigger pix

Full Size Image

Customer:

i think 3/4, but not sure, checking manual

Customer:

yes, 3/4 FNPT fuel inlet (this is generator conversion kit from USCARB.com)

msbabyd :

The decrease to an appliance would be decreased to support what the appliance needs. The real question it what line should you branch off of for your generator. As I look at it I would go off the main if the was not to many separate outlet already on that line preferable it would have a direct feed. if that is not to hard on you. that on attachment and direct to generator. The one that is going up what does that supply?

Customer:

well the one going up is to me a mystery.....the supply is coming down reduced into 1/2, then at the bottom goes into 3/4 then up to the boiler and hot water heater. If I go off that, and tee into the 3/4, will I only be getting the 1/2 since it prveiously runs thrru a 1/2?

msbabyd :

But you can go above the on the 3/4

msbabyd :

the one coming down

msbabyd :

Make a joint there

msbabyd :

Then your not reducing the incoming

msbabyd :

The one going up should be you stove is it is gas, and It to your house. And if you look it can reduce up or down

msbabyd :

The gas coming into the rest going down there all not going to be on at the exact time. And if they are then your meter will just run fast it goes by demand

msbabyd :

I personal depending on what your using the generator for? will it be on all the time?

msbabyd :

The pressure will remain the same. Decreasing it and increasing it all depends on demand

Customer:

ok, so here?

Full Size Image

msbabyd :

above your sign or on the up take on the other side there both 3/4

msbabyd :

either of the 3/4 pipe just because it reduces still comes in by demand

msbabyd :

if you plan on using it 24/7 take it from the incoming. and it you are using it on demand take it from the one going up which feeds the house

msbabyd :

when you are shutting it off have you stove burner on so it burns off and of the gas that came in and when it dies down you will know your line is somewhat cleared. Before you start your work

msbabyd :

either 3/4 pipe will work it is the demand

msbabyd :

put a turn off value above it.

Customer:

ok, so from the 3/4 supply coming down right after the donward elbow, put a shutoff, install the tee (with additional shutoff to the 30ft CSST line), then 1 or 2 inch pipe into the existing tee(that supplys the stove/dishwaher/dryer)?

msbabyd :

YES, exactly\

msbabyd :

You gas comes in on demand

Customer:

ok...thanks for your patience.....we are done. you will get a great rating

msbabyd :

Thank you very much I am glad I could help you :o)

msbabyd :

if you need me please let me know

MsBabyD, Building Inspector
Experience: 31 years experience Certified home inspector with 34 specialty certifications.
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 9 months ago.
I would install the appliance and see if your meter keeps up with the demand if it does your good to go. How are you using the generator?
MsBabyD, Building Inspector
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 9 months ago.
I want to check back with you to see how your install was going?