The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Familiar w/ CSLB in Construction attorney / law California

Familiar with CSLB in Construction attorney / law in state of california.

As a construction company, we hire hanyman on a contract basis by giving them 1099. Will these workers(handyman)be ok for us to hire to help us out on construction works? I know in construction, we need to hire someone that is licensed to do the work. But these helpers help us on temporary work. Per CSLB, will these handyman worker be ok for us to hire and we won’t get in trouble with our license?

Is is true that I am fine using handman because they did not make any improvements they just done repair work?

Would these be considered an employee, despite signing agreeing to work self employed?

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome.
If you pay them over 500.00 for a job (including materials to do the job) then they must have a license or they are considered as an employee and you must have them covered by the mandatory insurances, and pay the fees required under current tax laws.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when you referred mandatory insurances does that mean I have to provide health insurance, dental, and vacation or holiday pays?

Sorry, no. Just the state mandated disability coverage.