Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Recommended type of counter tops & cost.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

You can't beat granite and my customers that have had us install granite tops for them agree. Cost varies a lot depending on the type of granite you choose. It could be as little as $40-50 per square foot to over $300 per square foot. The edge treatment can also add to the cost. A simple "pencil" edge is typically no extra charge while a fancy ogee can add $15 per linear foot to the cost

Rick :

When it comes to granite the only way to nail down the cost is to pick out a stone type and have a fabricator give you a price based on your kitchen's design

Customer:

We are looking for a simple bullnose, so no extra charge there. The granite we picked is $22/sq feet & the cost of installation is $25/sq feet? Is the cost of installation average? Also, do you recommend simple round edge like bullnose or ogee?

Rick :

The edge treatment is purely a matter of personal taste so go with whatever you like best. That sounds like a good price. Labor costs vary around the country so I don't know what labor cost are in Chicago.

Customer:

I like the ogee, but am not sure how it will wear. Do you think the edges can chip more easily than full bullnose? We have 3 little kids we have to worry about.

Rick :

The ogee pattern you show above is no more likely to chip than a bull nose. It takes a lot to chip granite

Customer:

Thank you

Rick :

You're welcome!