Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

We are remodeling our house and are looking to install some

We are remodeling our house and are looking to install some nice heavy duty garbage disposal that is also reasonably priced.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Stick with In-Sink-Erator. They are the preeminent disposal manufacturer. We've been installing their products for 40 years with excellent results. This model at Home Depot is your best option for price and durability.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErator-Evolution-Essential-3-4-HP-Continuous-Feed-Garbage-Disposal-ESSENTIAL/100466654

Customer:

Thank you. Do you know how heavy it is? Is it ok to install under an undermount sink?

Rick :

The weight of a disposal only matters to the guy who is installing it in that heavy ones are harder on our backs. Any disposal can be installed on your sink, weight is never a consideration in that respect.

Rick :

That said this disposal is about average for disposals of this size

Rick :

There is no need to be concerned about its weight

Rick :

Do you have any other concerns?

Customer:

Even if we have a unermount sink? The weight of the sink is not supported by the countertops in this case. Also, will we get a better quality product if we bought it on Amazon vs Home depot. We know that most products are specifically made for Home Depot with lower quality, lower cost hence lower price to consumer. For instance Kohler toilets at Home Depot are lower quality as compared to a specialty store.

Rick :

We have been remodeling kitchens for decades. I've lost count of how many under mount cast iron sinks we've installed. Some sinks weigh more than 300 pounds and have the largest disposals available installed. Your best bet is to go to a plumbing supply house. I have no first hand knowledge of the ISE models from Home Depot. I only linked you there because you asked. We always buy from plumbing supply houses and most of them will sell direct to the public. I can't specify a specific model because I don't know what your local supplier will have in stock. Just stick with an all stainless steel chXXXXX XXXXXke the HD model above. These will typically have a 3/4 hp motor and a warranty in excess of 5 years.

Rick :

And of course stick with In-Sink-Erator

Rick :

do you have any more questions about disposals?

Customer:

Thanks. We live in Chicago. Do you recommend a plumber supply? Or can you recommend this product on amazon?

Rick :

I just looked at Amazon. They have the same model as the one I recommended above at Home Depot. You can try Ferguson,
3914 N Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

Is this product made in US or some place else? Thank you

Rick :

ISE is an American company. As far as I know their disposals are made here in the States. I can't say the same for other brands. Take it form somebody who has been installing disposals for 40+ years you can't do better than ISE

Customer:

Great. Thanks

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.