How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Theplumber717 Your Own Question
Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 2056
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp
63005973
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Theplumber717 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It looks like my water heater has been leaking somehow, the

This answer was rated:

It looks like my water heater has been leaking somehow, the drywall under it is black with mold growing and even what looks like mushrooms. It seeped through to the inside of my house too. I know I need to get a plumber out here to check the water heater but what do I do about this black mold?

GARY C :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to solve your problem. Reply to this post and i will reply back with help before rating, Thanks Garyc

GARY C :

You need to cut the drywall out, and remove it

GARY C :

then treat the studs with bleach or use a mold removal spray found at most alll home improvement stores

GARY C :

also set a dehumidifier close buy to remove as much moisture you can

GARY C :

seems your away, reply to this and i will reply back with help, if you have more questions. thanks garyc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks is the black mold dangerous for my kids be around, should they be out of the house?

It is dangerous, try and contain the room with plastic, or remove the drywall, as soon as possible and treat studs. I cannot comment on if you need to leave, but if they are very young they are more susceptible in my opinion. (depends on how much mold we are talking about, fixing the problem is better sooner then later. (use a mask if your trying this yourself as it will go airborne, and breathed in, best to call in a pro)

Theplumber717 and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you