Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, HVAC Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor,HVAC, All aspects construction 28 yrs exp
63005973

It looks like my water heater has been leaking somehow, the

It looks like my water heater has been leaking somehow, the drywall under it is black with mold growing and even what looks like mushrooms. It seeped through to the inside of my house too. I know I need to get a plumber out here to check the water heater but what do I do about this black mold?

GARY C :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to solve your problem. Reply to this post and i will reply back with help before rating, Thanks Garyc

GARY C :

You need to cut the drywall out, and remove it

GARY C :

then treat the studs with bleach or use a mold removal spray found at most alll home improvement stores

GARY C :

also set a dehumidifier close buy to remove as much moisture you can

GARY C :

seems your away, reply to this and i will reply back with help, if you have more questions. thanks garyc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks is the black mold dangerous for my kids be around, should they be out of the house?

It is dangerous, try and contain the room with plastic, or remove the drywall, as soon as possible and treat studs. I cannot comment on if you need to leave, but if they are very young they are more susceptible in my opinion. (depends on how much mold we are talking about, fixing the problem is better sooner then later. (use a mask if your trying this yourself as it will go airborne, and breathed in, best to call in a pro)