Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hi, I have a master bedroom closet Id like to expand - the

Hi, I have a master bedroom closet I'd like to expand - the adjoining room was converted to an office prior to my purchase in 2008. They had already removed the closet doors and the hanging bar and added shelving. This "closet" is directly behind my closet.

I would like to bust through the wall between the two and reconstruct a back wall - how would I know if any part of that is a weight bearing structure?

Thank you!!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

If the partition you plane on removing is parallel to joists above it then you should assume it's load bearing

Rick :

Is there a floor/living space above the ceiling of this closet

Rick :

Sorry for the typo

Customer:

There is living space below - it's the 2nd story bedrooms above the dining room/kitchen area

Rick :

If the partition is perpendicular it's probably load bearing

Customer:

There is partially vaulted ceiling in both rooms

Customer:

how would I determine that - I'm not expanding the current size of the width, just combining the depth of both areas.

Rick :

please define vaulted ceiling

Customer:

I don't know if I'm using the correct word - the ceiling is about 6-8 feet higher to a point on this particular wall

Rick :

Sounds like you mean a cathedral ceiling

Customer:

I believe that is correct, yes.

Customer:

the house was built in 1989

Rick :

OK

Rick :

It's highly unlikely that this partition (assuming it's in the middle of the house) is load bearing. I assume the ceiling is sloped? if so is this partition parallel to the slope or perpendicular to the slope?

Customer:

Yes, it is sloped. This partition/wall between the closets is parallel to the slope I believe. Looking at the closet, the wall looks like a mini A-frame wall.

Customer:

does that make sense? Sorry, I'm no builder :D

Rick :

Yes it makes sense and based on what you're telling me (the top of the partition is sloped) then it shouldn't be load bearing

Customer:

The top of the partition isn't sloped but the wall above it is

Rick :

Now I'm confused

Customer:

OK, the wall is sloped but the closet doors are mirrored, it's a built in closet, and the closet has a "ceiling" to it.

Rick :

Ok I think I have most of the picture now. The only load that might be on this partition would/might be the sloped wall above it. Depending on how that's framed it's probab;y not a problem.

Rick :

If I understand this sloped wall above is directly above the partition you want to remove?

Customer:

yes it is.

Customer:

actually the partition is inside the closet - the wall is directly above/around the mirrored closet doors

Rick :

I'm not entirely clear (this is difficult without seeing it) but unless the sloped wall is directly above the wall you want to remove then I don't "see" any problems

Customer:

I wish I could explain it better ...... it would probably be easier just to knock the whole wall out haha! I just want to join the two closets --

Rick :

The big concern in a case like this is that you don't want to remove a wall that's bearing the load of the structure. Based on what you're telling me that doesn't sound at all likely. So if you have a wall that's above the ceiling of the wall you want to remove the only possible concern is maybe the weight of the wall (above) itself. Which in the scheme of things isn't much and it's likely held up by other means. Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Customer:

We wanted to remove the dividing wall, dry wall up the opening in adjacent room to create the back of the new closet, then have a closet system installed.

Rick :

so you'll be doing the work (aside for the closet system) yourself

Customer:

if we can - I'm pretty handy with a sledge hammer ha

Rick :

Leave the sledge hammer in the "tool box". The way to approach this is to remove the wallboard/drywall first then see how this is framed. With any luck there will be a plate (horizontal 2 x 4) at the ceiling of the closet. If there is them it will be pretty easy to just knock out the studs 1 by 1. If you take this one step at a time you should be fine

Customer:

Terrific!! Thank you so much for being patient with me and helping me be clear. I appreicate your help!

Rick :

You're welcome