AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

Is it possible to wire two 3 way switches to two lights with

Is it possible to wire two 3 way switches to two lights with this wiring scenario? 2 wire power in to light1. Leaving light1 is a 2 wire to switch1 and a 3 wire to light2. Switch1 and switch2 have a 3 wire between them. No direct wire between switch2 and either light.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 1 year ago.

msbabyd :

It is possible to re wire an appliance. Can you tell me what color the wires are? and did it come with a diagram?

msbabyd :

hello

msbabyd :

From what I understand you would like to be able to turn on and off the light from 3 separate locations correct?

msbabyd :

or the fan. You can actually turn on and off from as amy switches as you would like. You just have to buy the extra wiring. And make sure you buy the correct wire. But know that I have read on you are stating the fan isnt working at all?

Customer:

what wires? and diagram is for fan and light to work off remote only. no diag for external switch. i would like to run the fan by remoteonly and two lights by two wall switches. i cant run new wire due to no ceiling access

Customer:

fan works off remote which is what i want. need to know how to wire lights and switches so both lights work off both switches

msbabyd :

OK Before the fan will work by remote it has to be wired. unless you have a battery operated unit. Just kidding. so when you open the boc it had white black red and a ground right?

Customer:

the existing wiring originally worked bothlights off both switches

Customer:

what is boc?

msbabyd :

sorry box tell me what was in it

msbabyd :

and the fan stated it can be controlled by more then one switch. since it is a hanging ceiling fan it wired differently

msbabyd :

May I ask you did you try wiring it to just on switch?

Customer:

fanlight combo box has black white and ground coming in from power. then same wire to oneswitch and a black red white and ground going to other light. and rwbg between switches

msbabyd :

Ok and on the box it clearly stated it was dual operated from more then one switch?

Customer:

i wired it to one switch and everything was fine but i dont have a direct wire from other light to other switch

Customer:

i dont need the fan to run off any switch. i want the remote to run thefan and the twowall switches to run the two lights

Customer:

the fan is working off remote only now

Customer:

the lights are my concern.

msbabyd :

That is exactly it do to the limited power it is only going to allow you to use one switch the fan motor was not built to except more power outlets. which is weird in these days. But it is a what the call portable because you are not mounting it to the ceiling is there a switch you would pick aove the 2 that would be better service to you. and since you are using it just as remote. would that effect what your purpose is?

Customer:

take the fan out of equation. how do i wire the lights and switches with the wiring scheme that i have?

msbabyd :

I would transfer everything back to original. The just past a new law all other out lets have to be AFCI which mean when it is check it looks for crossed wiring threw out the home not just gfi in the bath and kitchen area.

msbabyd :

After you did that since you are only using the remote does it affect it making you leave that light on all the time so you can use the remote?

Customer:

i am going to move the fan to another room and put a regular lite in.

Customer:

the light runs off switch and fan byremote

msbabyd :

Your light switches are wired with 2 ends as you already know and a ground. One way of doing it completely seperate is actually adding on a thrird switch. It doesnt need an out side switch unless you want it

Customer:

fan runs with wall switch off

msbabyd :

ok this is how you can do it do you have extra white black and some electric nut screws?

msbabyd :

if the fan runs well with the light off then you are already recieving the power you need. But is the light working. and can you tell me what wattage it is wired with?

Customer:

i have that stuff

msbabyd :

OK take out the switch add on to the other wires make sure you are color coded and have either wire nuts with are bulking or electrical tape. wire a second swict on with out adding thw switch and apply the fan to theat.

Customer:

the light works with remote and with switch. not sure of wattage. not at home

msbabyd :

Ok do you have any testing equipment. I thin you will be fine but you can add it without any problems and then your fan would be on it own basic wiring without the light

msbabyd :

and work independent

Customer:

how do i wire the other litewithout a direct wire from the other switch?

msbabyd :

Then your light switch and your fan are know two separate systems

msbabyd :

so when you added the fan it knocked out your two way light ?

Customer:

yes and no. can ucall me? XXXXXXXXXX /p>

msbabyd :

I owned an electrical company for over 10 years, where are you located?

Customer:

plattsburgh ny

msbabyd :

I will ask I am not positive. i would love to walk you threw this but I have to follow company policy that is probably why you number came up xxxxxxxxx

msbabyd :

What I would like you to day is place everything back the way it was prior to adding the fan. Then pick the light switch you want to use. do you have a power tester for wattage?

msbabyd :

When will you return home do you have a computer there?

Customer:

can u give me a diagram on how to wire the lights and switches without fan? i am going to wire everythimg back to original without fan but the wire scheme is confusing me. i dont know the original scheme

msbabyd :

Give me the make model of the fan please

Customer:

if the switches were powered from the 2nd lite id be fine. but only wire from

Customer:

harbor breeze from lowes. dont know model

Customer:

if the switches were powered from 2nd lite id be fine but power comes from 1st

Customer:

i will be home at 5pm est. i do have a computer.

msbabyd :

OK I am cali so i will come on at 3 and will get this done for you OK I am brook

Customer:

i cant wire second lite to its own switch cuz it doesnt have wire from that lite

msbabyd :

Harbor breeze remote not mounted correct

Customer:

remote receiver is mounted remote itself is handheld.

msbabyd :

ok meet you at your 5 and my 3 Your name?

Customer:

jason

msbabyd :

Hi Jason

msbabyd :

See you at 5

Customer:

ok

msbabyd :

I am going to lock it until where done ok

Customer:

ok. remember i am ok with moving fan and going back to original if it cant be done.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
This is a site with detailed explanation and
diagrams for wiring three way switches.

Perhaps it may be of some help

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm

David Machado

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Diagram made by your posted cables.

If you are going to operate the fan with the remote, and the lights by the wall switches
this is what you need to do with the wiring..
All circled connection points will have wire nuts to make the connections with
the wires.
graphic
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience: 35 years home improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Just checking to see if the link had the
information you needed.
There were several combinations available ,

If I can answer any other questions let me know.

David Machado
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have anymore questions

David Machado