Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I have installed my Chamberlain Model WD822KCD belt drive opener

Customer Question

I have installed my Chamberlain Model WD822KCD belt drive opener with all the clearances by spec and it is only opening about 8 inches and stops. I am not sure what the problem is. I have adjusted the limit of travel and up force to no avail. Any ideas.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

The opener may be trying too hard to open the door either because the spring(s) is weak or broken or the tracks/ rollers are bent or need lubricating. The opener does not do the heavy lifting of the door, the springs do all the work, the opener just aids in moving the door open. I would verify that the cables to the springs are still on the pulleys (if you have this type). I would also verify that the door is not going up slightly crooked, just enough to bind.

Perform the following tests to help narrow down whether the door/ tracks are the problem or the motor unit is giving you the problem:

First, I would close the door and then disconnect the door from the trolley and operate the door manually. The door NEEDS to roll smoothly and not bind on anything and it NEEDS to be balanced and stay at any point you stop it. If the door wants to go down by itself the springs are weak and at fault; have a qualified service technician fix/ adjust them...they can be very dangerous to work with since they are under extreme tension.

Second, operate the opener without the door attached and see if it operates correctly. The trolley will fully go up and down if working properly.

Please let me know what you find from these tests and we can proceed from there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Brian. Thanks for your advice. What I found is the door is detached from the torsion spring and no tension on it. The cables at the sides of the door that attach it to the spring are missing. So that the full weight of the door is there. The prior door opener (this one is a replacement) was a Craftsman chain drive. Same horsepower at 1/2 horsepower motor but this one is a belt drive. That chain drive Craftsman opener was opening the door. But I guess this one can't take it. So I need to get cables and re-set the spring. How do I do that or do I need a repairman to set it because of the tension and perhaps special tools are required? After that probably the opener will work. It is now opening about 12 inches and stopping. Please advise. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Brian replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I would get a qualified technician to mess with the spring and perform the attaching and adjusting. They are under a lot of tension and if something breaks they can be quite dangerous.

You may find some information with an online search on how to do it yourself with the correct tools, but I don't want to recommend this due to the possibility of injury to yourself.

I wouldn't keep trying to open the door without the spring or you will damage the opener.....they are not made to lift the heavy door and you will definitely strip the gears, etc.

The door should definitely work fine after the spring is connected.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Okay thanks. I think then that I will engage a technician to reset the spring. Yes probably it is too much load at the moment on the door. I will let you know if this solves the problem but it will be some time, probably a week till the time I reply by the time I get the technician and the spring is adjusted.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Brian replied 6 months ago.
That would be great for the update...thanks.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Brian. So what I did was get a technician in who had to tools to deal with the spring on the door. The spring was broken. Now the opener works great. I have already rated your service.

Regards, R. Heughan

Expert:  Brian replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the update. Glad you found the problem!