Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Im building a small lodge and i would like to use hotel key

Im building a small lodge and i would like to use hotel key card to gain electricity to the room.

If the card is not inserted into the switch, none of the electricals in the room will work.
The card switch will provide power to the following:
Tv
Aircond
Water heater
5 light
2 double sockets

Im not sure if direct connection to the card switch is a good idea.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
You need to research these types of devices
to make a decision on their reliability
and how practical they are.
Cost versus money saved by their use.
Sounds like an interesting idea.

David Machado
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.. thanks for the reply.

im asking for expert advice on how to connect the electricals to the card switch without overloading it if all the electricals are being used and what extra device i might need to achieve that goal.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
These connections would require low voltage
relays served from the card reader.
They would they would operate and send the voltage
to the designated appliances or receptacles.
They would be wired to code just as any other
installation.
The difference would be the interface that cuts the
supply to them on and off which
would be installed at the main breaker box.

David Machado
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you provide a diagram that i can give to my wireman?

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Ill see if I can find a link he can use as
an example.
The interface will come with wiring
Instructions for the card readers and low voltage
relays.

Be right back
David Machado
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/362-635A.pdf

This site has a wiring diagram for low voltage interface
device.
You can show it to your technician as an example
Of what you need.

David Machado
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 1 year ago.
Card lock are not your best choice. there is a system out there that is combination they run about 90.00 but worth every penny.
They have there own electrical power so outages do not effect them. I used them even on my own home they dead lock. Great investment. Plus you can change the code as needed. If you need further info just give me a holler. 5 years standing!
Brook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I think relay was the proper equipment to use but not sure how to connect them.

It has nothing to do with card lock, thanks.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
The card lock diagram was just to show the principle
of how it's wired
The actual wiring diagram would be furnished with whatever
equipment you purchase .
You have to run low voltage wiring From the card
scanner to the interface device that is connected to the
main breaker. It is too detailed to try and determine
connections until the device is selected that you
will be using.
It will have specs for the pre wire procedure and
the actual connections
Expert:  MsBabyD replied 1 year ago.

Actually they are used by all the banks, and foreclose companies because utilities are usually not on. You will find it easy to install. And not have to other checking lower voltage on anything. Voltage should have nothing to do with the lock it self. Buy the replace placement . I believe you will find it it simple. and within-out making other future problems. That don't exist.
If you would like the name I can forward it to you it also comes in 4 different finishes and again is a dead bolt. with a key back up. I don't believe Major banks, and Real Estate companies would be using them instead of lock boxes if they where not the most security system on the market today!

Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX
Kwik set makes one for 90.00 Best investment you will ever make!
Brook

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Sorry we got off base with the lockthing. That was just a sample to illustrate The low voltage. wiring required for any remoteoperating system. I do understand your question. If you have any other questions let me know .David MachadoDavid. Machado
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Hope matters haven't gotten confused here.
Thanks for your questions.
David Machado
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back to see if you have made
any progress with your question.
I will be glad to answer any more questions
you may have.

David Machado
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience: Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.