Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.

I am a Vet and planning to use my VA Home Loan benefit to buy

I am a Vet and planning to use my VA Home Loan benefit to buy or build a home. I had always had an "idea" for a sandbag constructed home and until now did not think it was practical. However, I have found sites that are constructing these homes in other countries. I have even found sites with actual building plans for some of these homes. I am wondering if there is anyone that has any knowledge of Sandbag homes and the building codes that may conflict with its construction. I am needing to know the extra obstacles that may be seen in a build like this. I am looking to build possibly in Flagstaff, AZ or Pinetop, AZ
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 9 months ago.
The building. codes can be met for just about
any structure . You would need to have a licensed m
builder that can submit architectural drawings
and specifications for he building.
The next obstacle is obtaining a VA loan.
They do everything to assure you are getting a quality
home when you finance through them.
To save time and money. It would be best
To meet with them and get a pre-approved
for sandbag construction,
Best wishes
Sounds like a great idea

David. Machado
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Machinc,

Thanks for replying. So you are saying any contractor can determine what to do in order to meet code requirements?

I understand the VA loans are difficult to use for projects like this because the VA has its own requirements regarding quality of living on homes so I will definitely get it pre-approved.

I had heard these homes are being built for about $10-$13 per square foot so I think it would be a cheaper build for someone like myself. I know a contractor but have not discussed it with him in great detail before I get as much information on it as possible.

With architectural drawings or plans, how would I go about getting someone to do this. Are there private companies? Do you have any idea of a cost for dealing with an architect? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, however, I will not know if I do not ask. Thanks again

Expert:  Machinc replied 9 months ago.
A builder in most states can draw his own plans.
Those that do usually include that service
in the price of building the home.

An architect would be more expensive .
Upward of $500 or more. You might could find
plans for sandbag construction on line.

These can be used for applying for loans
and showing to builders.

Hope you do well with this project .
Sounds like a great idea.
David Machado
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience: Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Expert:  Machinc replied 9 months ago.
Let me know how it is going .

David. MachadoW