Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hi , I gutted my small bathroom , less than 5x5 cuz of a slanted

Hi , I gutted my small bathroom , less than 5x5 cuz of a slanted wall . I am putting in beveled subway tile , 48" high and upto the ceiling in the shower/tub . Will the beveled make the room smaller ? Should I just go with flat subway ?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

The beveled tile may be too busy for such a small room and so much tile. I'd go with flat

Customer: Would you then add black pencil tile near the top fora little interest , how about chair rail at the top instead of a plain bull nose?
Rick :

A black pencil strip would be a nice touch just below a chair rail

Rick :

I assume you mean at the top of the 4' section

Rick :

I'd carry the pencil strip through into the shower area

Customer: Just one strip of black pencil or maybe 2or 3 the floor has a little blacl
Rick :

No more than 2. If you go with 2 I'd spot it 1 course below the strip under the chair rail

Rick :

Also pay attention to the height the shower valve is set

Rick :

It's often set at 48" so you want to avoid the accent strip running through the shower valve if possible

Customer: Do you mean chair rail , black pencil , subway , black pencil , then subway ?
Rick :

Yes,

Rick :

if the shower valve hasn't been piped in yet I'd set it at 36" which is the alternate height in a tub shower

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/