Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Ive been remodeling my large living room and its still a mess

Ive been remodeling my large living room and its still a mess from drywall work and I'm considering re-insulating my 2x4 walls. this room is approx 600sf. and I have seen the dense pack cellulose installations on youtube. The walls already have fiberglass insulation. Would it pay for me to install the dense pack cellulose or blown in fiberglass?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Since you already have fiberglass insulation in the walls (I assume the full thickness of the walls) the added cost to do either of the things you mention isn't worth the expense

Rick :

Blown in insulation won't increase the R value (heat loss resistance). The dense packed cellulose might increase the R value marginally but it is not cost effective since you

Rick :

already have fiberglass insulation in the walls

Customer:

I thought it would make the place much warmer. you dont think so?

Customer:

the walls are only 2x4 so there isnt much there....

Customer:

this is Minnesota...

Rick :

It's a matter of cost effectiveness. Unless they did a terrible job with the original insulation you won't notice much difference. Insulation is all about saving on fuel costs. In this case the added expense isn't worth the potential fuel savings. If you had no insulation then I say definitely go for it.

Customer:

so where would the break-even point be on additional cost of the new insulation be? i would do it myself... the rental of the machine is free and the insulation would be approx $450

Rick :

If you already have insulation in the wall cavity you would need to remove it first. You can only blow insulation into an empty wall cavity for it to be effective. Also you most likely now have a vapor barrier which you would lose if you blow in insulation. I would need to do some heat loss calculations as well as have your average fuel costs for the past several years.

Rick :

The difference in the R value of standard fiberglass batt insulation and dense pack cellulose is only a factor of 1. a 2 x 4 wall with fiberglass batts is R13 with cellulose R14

Rick :

Hardly any difference

Customer:

dont bother with that.... im deciding against the struggle of the installation and costs versus just getting my living room back...... thanks!!! by the way, i called the maker of the insulation and they said its common to add cellulose to fiberglass insulated walls and the dense packing action of it crushes the fiberglass and fills the cavity...

Rick :

I'm not buying it (pardon the pun). Also blowing insulation into an attic is a doable DIY project. However getting good results blowing into a wall takes some expertise.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Rick :

You're welcome!