Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving

I need advice on potential jackhammer purchase. Over the next

I need advice on potential jackhammer purchase. Over the next several years, I'm going to need to break up some large sections of asphalt and cement (4' deep) on my drive (and my Grandpa's). Rather than renting a jackhammer for $30 for 4 hours or $60 per day, I thought it might make more sense to just buy a good, lower priced model from Amazon (free Prime shipping, Home Depot or otherwise). Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Hi there happy to help.

Do you have a price range you would like to stay under? How heavy of a hammer do you want?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to stay under $500 (with attachments), but I might consider going up to $1,000 if it made sense. I have a lot of DIY work to do (long driveway, old cement patio, long cement walkway) that will require a good piece of equipment. If I had a large block of time to do the work, I'd probably just rent as needed.

OK, I assume you want electric and not compressed air? (pnuematic)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Electric would probably be best, XXXXX XXXXX let me know why I might want pneumatic instead. Thanks!

OK, first here is what I recommend. Its hands down the best for your price range. Bosch is the stand out leader in jackhammers in the industry.

The choice between air and electric is really driven by cost and weight. Air jackhammers are going to be heavier typically and have more power. You will be hard rpessed to find one for under 1000 dollars however, so I was happy to see you were happy with electric.

Have fun and please don't forget to rate me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That jack hammer you recommended looks really good for $1000. But do you know of any other durable ones that may not be as good but are in the $300-500 range? Also, are there any websites that you'd recommend for tips on how to properly use or maintain the jack hammer? Please let me know and I'll rate you again. Thanks!

There is a smaller quality Dewalt version here.......

Or an off brand 35 lb'er here......

I will say I have not use the above brand before, but you could try it.

I wouldn't recommend going much smaller for the work you described.

For maintenance there is not much for an electric hammer, other than caring for the cord and electrical connections. There is a good safety and maintenance article here.......

Take care and please don't forget to rate me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which off brand hammer were you referring to in the 2nd link?

Sorry didn't link correctly....

Its the Northern Industrial 2050 Watt hammer.....

I've not used the brand before but if it comes with a decent warranty I would go for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey, Daniel! Are there any variable speed/electric jack hammers that would allow me to slow it down and use to put up indoor tile, etc.?

Hi, are you referring to a smaller hammer drill type application?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was wondering if there was one mid-range tool that could do both the heavier duty outdoor jobs (concrete, aphalt, etc.) while also handling some indoor jobs (moving tile, removing part of cement block foundation, etc.) by having a variable speed control. It's probably wishful thinking on my part. It would sort of be a cross between the Bosch and DeWalt tools you recommended. Or maybe there's a less expensive version of the DeWalt demo too?

Well, that's a tough one. I would rather see you buy a small hammer drill for the indoor projects. You don't see too many people removing tile with a 35# XXXXX Cool You;'ll do more harm than good in a situation like that. More important than the speed of the hsammer will be its weight, size and manueverability.

Hammer drills and small chisels are quite a bit cheaper as well. See here....

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're no fun! :-) Actually, that DeWalt tool looks like it would be great for my tile removal. This may be a stretch, but do you think it could help break up chunks of already separated asphalt? These pieces are already separated from the drive and being reused as base for a long driveway project. Rather than hit many of them with a sledge hammer, I was thinking I could use the smaller DeWalt tool you just posted. I'll buy a larger jack hammer later when I need to remove existing concrete or asphalt. LMK about whether I could effectively use the smaller DeWalt tool for breaking up apshalt chunks. Thanks!

By the way, one of the reviews for the smaller Dewalt tool is below (so I wasn't too crazy for thinking I could use a mid-range jack hammer indoors):

This review is from: DEWALT D25213K 1-Inch D-Handle Three Mode SDS Hammer (Tools & Home Improvement)

I usually use a heavy jackhammer for my tasks. Thought bigger was better. This did the trick for the tile and thinset smoothly with no fatigue. I'm sold.

Absolutely, it will work for this. It will not be the tool to demo concrete slabs though.

Take care and have fun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just noticed this smaller Dewalt tool doesn't come with a chisel. Which one would you recommend for the asphalt chunks?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How would the DeWalt tool compare to this one:

Also, what bits would you recommend for breaking up asphalt chunks?

Sorry had to step away for a few minutes. Give me a couple minutes to look into this.....
OK, first as a rule of thumb, Bosch is a better brand. I was ooking to save you money on teh Dewalt. So I like the Bosch better.

Second as far as bits for asphalt will want something similar to this....

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just ordered the Bosch tool with the bit you suggested for $150 on Amazon because I signed up for their credit card and got $50 instant savings. Plus I already have Amazon Prime, so I get free 2-day shipping. Not bad. Thanks again for all your help!

You bet, Amazon Prime is awesome!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Daniel! The article you posted above said the following about points:

"Use the proper point for the material to be broken. Remember to use rock point for rock, spade point for asphalt, and chisel point for concrete. Never use a broken or cracked point."

I plan to purchase the Bosch 11335K you recommended. It comes with a pointed chisel. You has also recommended the Bosch HS1470 SDS Plus Viper Long Life Chisel for asphalt. The above materials makes it seem like this is appropriate for concrete and a spade point is better for asphalt. Would the one you recommended work well for both asphalt and concrete? Or should I use the HS1470 SDS for concrete and another spade point for asphalt. Please let me know. Thanks!

Were you going to respond?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you able to respond?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your help is not longer needed, not that you were responding anyway.