Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have two garage doors, two Chamberlain LiftMaster openers.

I have two garage doors, two Chamberlain LiftMaster openers. My power was out in my garage for about three years, just got it reconnected. One door opener works fine, the other won't work at all. I have power to the opener and to the wall mount opener, but don't have any lights at all in the safety sensors. Do I need to replace the sensors, or is there something else i need to do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Sorry to hear about your opener problem.

It sounds like you have a bad logic board and unfortunately they cost around $70.00. If the sensors were the problem, the opener would still work but you would have other problems. The logic boards are highly sensitive to power failures/ surges and fail. If the opener is older than 10 years I would recommend spending that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, today's opener technology is better and safer.

Also, invest in a surge protector made for garage door openers....it will help protect the new logic board.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are both on the same circuit and were before the power went out, so wouldn't both of them have been affected the same? Since one is working, do I need to replace it as well? or just wait until it goes bad to replace?

Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
They both wouldn't necessarily go at the same time. The openers just have sensitive circuit boards and they won't always go bad with power fluctuations...it's just sometimes the fluctuation is just enough to burn a solder connection or do other similar damage.

The opener that still works is fine and you don't need to do anything to it, although you may want to get a surge protector for it to plug into.

The opener that isn't working, you will either need to replace the logic board or replace the opener....which ever makes more sense, as I described earlier.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP