Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Help with garage door opener (not sure if I have the right

Help with garage door opener (not sure if I have the right category here). It goes down fine, but then I have to hit the button 20 or 30x to get it to come back up??? Same for remote or wall button. What might cause this? thx. I have a 15 yr old Craftsman 1/2 HP. No problems before this besides a broken spring about 5 yrs back.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Since your problem happens regardless of whether you use the remote or the wall button, this means that the problem is with the motor unit. Having to hit it that many times sounds like you have a bad solder connection on the logic board and it connects at random.

Unfortunately a new logic board averages around $70. With the age of your opener (and the average lifespan of an opener is around 10-15 years) I would put that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, you will appreciate the latest technology and safety features.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I searched online and saw this...do you think it could be the gears? http://www.fixya.com/support/t1330141-craftsman_garage_door_opener_open

Hi Kyle,

It is a possibility that the gears are stripped or missing teeth but typically you would hear noise from the opener during the times it is trying to open. If you are hearing noise each time you press the button then definitely take the cover off and inspect the gears. Otherwise, I'm still thinking you have a bad logic board.