P.J.
P.J., General Contractor
Experience:  Various construction experiences, both good and bad, allow me to help others solve their home improvement issues.
75205684

How much does it cost per room or per square foot to have concrete

How much does it cost per room or per square foot to have concrete polished for interior residential?

Had a contractor come and do alot of other work. The quote was lumped together so cannot tell how much each item costs. say 240sqft x $4 = $960. Is this a fair starting point considering carpet removal, grinding, and polishing? If I did a bottoms-up, this is about what I come up with. But none of the other contractors answer their phones to compare costs. So I'm here trying to get an idea.

Legacy Built :

For 240 SF in my area that would be a great price. Polishing alone usually averages $4.50/SF. Removing carpet and prep would be extra. I hope this helps, please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for continuing to use JA!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

then how much does the grinding cost per Sqft? That seems to be the messy part but i dunno cause I don't do it.

The polishing and grinding is typically not broken out separately as they are performed by the same contractor and same machine and the grinding is a necessary first step in the process. I do not know the cost for grinding alone.

Both the grinding and polishing are indeed messy as the process is lubricated with water and other liquid chemical additives.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A total of $3600 was contracted. The other minor work could be valued at $1,800. That could leave $1,800 for grinding/polishing. for 240sqft that would be $7.50. Trying to figure out if additional charges are valid. The floor does not look polished. It just looks grinded. Trying to figure out what is fair and get a finished product. The floor does not look shiny like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vwjMpQPcLs

I understand. $7.50 seems a little high for just polishing. If you had extra prep work such as removing/re-installing and disposing of trim, carpet, etc., then it could easily and fairly approach that $7.50/SF cost.

When a lump sum cost for a project is given and accepted it is sometimes difficult to determine how all the costs break down.

Regarding the quality of the finished product the polishing should result in a very smooth semi-shiny surface. The finish in the video looks fairly typical and it would certainly be reasonable for you to expect a product that closely resembles the one in the video. If your floor doesn't have an amount of reflectivity to it then I would not consider it polished.