Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Im installing vinyl glass french doors in a wood framed building.

I'm installing vinyl glass french doors in a wood framed building. New construction, 2x6. The doors will be sitting on a polished concrete slab as the sill. How do I make a sill pan on site? Grade will be about 2" below the slab height.

thanks. I can send some photos once I get a reply.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your issue.

Your best bet is to use WR Grace's Vycor flexible flashing available at Home Depot, Lowes and any lumber yard
.

Rick :

Here is the contractor's guide for different applications.

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/custom/flashings/downloads/26324_Guide-B.pdf

Rick :

There is no specific instructions for your particular application but it would be essentially the same as a door opening onto a deck. You would run your Vycor down over the edge of the slab to below grade. The concrete should be very clean so the Vycor will adhere to the slab

Rick :

Be sure to run the Vycor the full depth of the sill. You can trim any excess off after the door is in. No need for pics your application is pretty standard

Customer:

thanks. That product isn't available around here (at lowes, home depot, or dick's lumber). I know Blueskin products are used for window flashing around here

Customer:

I was thinking of more of a metal or plastic product. I wasn't sold on using a flexible produce under a door as there will be shims to contend with and it might rip

Customer:

or making a metal sill pan on site perhaps? not sure

Customer:

by the way, I'm in canada

Customer:

the door has a continuous frame on all sides. A wood sill will not be installed later

Rick :

Vycor is the standard. It doesn't rip and stands up to a lot of abuse. But if you don't have access to it (you could order it online). Then you're next best option would be to have a pan fabricated out of sheet aluminum stock. Any local sheet metal fabricator can do this for you and you can have it made to your specs.

Customer:

Are you familiar with blueskin at all? I'm sure I could look up specs to see how/if they are different. What's a comparable product to vycor that's available here?

Rick :

Or if you know how to work a sheet metal break you could do it onsite but the Vycor option is the most painless

Customer:

I don't have metal fabricating skills really.

Customer:

If the flixible membrane is trusted for this purpose, then I'm happy with that. But like i said, I'd need an alternative product

Rick :

Then Vycor or something similar is your only onsite option. Like I said you could order it online. I'm not familiar with blueskin and I have no idea what's available for you locally. Let me see what I can find out about blueskin

Customer:

okay, thanks

Rick :

Looks like Blueskin is similar to Vycor and should perform essentially the same way

Rick :

You should get it at least 9" wide

Customer:

I've only ever seen it used for windows. I have a 9" roll already.

Customer:

I guess I'll look into it's uses myself then

Rick :

Same principal here

Rick :

You can still use the Vycor instruction manual I linked for the procedure to pan a door

Customer:

sounds fair enough. Like I said, just haven't seen it used on sills for doors. just having a look to see if vycor is available in canada if I'm not satisfied that blueskin is the same/similar stuff.

Rick :

From the spec I see online Blueskin is used for the same applications as Vycor. If you already have the Blueskin then I'd use that

Customer:

okay. I'll have a go. just use a strip of solid wood for the back dam?

Customer:

I did look over the specs/instructions

Rick :

No you have to lay down a couple beads of silicone caulking under the sill when you set the door. You can also run a bead around the inside of the sill if you wan but it

Rick :

it's not necessary if you caulk the sill properly

Rick :

Or you can run your blueskin up the inside of the sill if your flooring will hide it

Rick :

Your door install instructions typically specify where yo run the bead(s)

Customer:

the flooring is polished concrete, and there is no recess or step down for he door sill to sit in as it wasn't spec'd at the time we poured the slab, so the door just sits on the flat slab. no interior flooing added.

Rick :

Then you rely on the beads of silicone. This is standard practice

Customer:

I'll have a look at the door instructions, but I have to hide the gap under the sill anyway, so I guess i just run the blueskin up that trim piece. that makes sense

Customer:

or silicone

Customer:

thanks. think I should be good.

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.