Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Is it acceptable to attach an adjacent stairway platform for

Is it acceptable to attach an adjacent stairway platform for a deck to the house with a diagonal bracing, as if it were a balcony, instead of setting a corner post on the outside corner of the platform (the post my be impossible to place due to obstacles in the ground)?

The stairway platform would be 3' wide by 3' - 2" extended from the house. The bracing would attach to diagonally from the edge of the platform and attach to the concrete foundation. The deck stairs would be hung flush from the outside edge of the platform (the top step would be level with the platform and run 10") and extend to the ground (aprox. 8' high).
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Yes, the stair landing can be supported by diagonal bracing. The bracing should be adequately sized and connected well at each end. Nothing in the code says that it has to be supported by a post.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP