Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

I am converting my fish pond pump to solar. I have a deep cell

I am converting my fish pond pump to solar. I have a deep cell battery and trickle charge solar panel. the 300w inverter works fine for 3 or 4 hours then shuts off. I placed a small fan next to it but it did the same thing. I don't need a large watt inverter but it needs to be on 24/7. is there an inverter for this use or is there a dc pump I should look at. I have a 1200 gal pond and a 1000gph pump using about 80 watts
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..I need some additional information from you in order to fully understand the situation.

1. What is the wattage of the motor? You said 80?
2. When the inverter kicks out, does it indicate why?
3. What is the charge on the battery when it kicks out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its an old inverter, 300w and it stops working and makes a peep noise and the battery shows full charge. the pump says 80 watts

And if you reset it, the battery can still power the pump?

Is this a 120V pump?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the pump has been working for 2 years on ac and there is no reset on the inverter. its an old one, only on/off if I wait a while and turn it back on it works for about 3 hours. I placed a small fan next to it but the same thing happens

That's a tough one but I would probably swap out the inverter. A small motor like one isn't going to require much oversizing of your inverter. 300 should be more than enough.

I would beg, borrow or steal another inverter just to give it a try and see if they same thing happens. Ok, maybe not steal one :)

That's all I can suggest if you are confident that you are not winding down your battery.

Remember, 80 watts at 12V is about 7A. Most car batteries will provide 7A for about 7-10 hours. Clearly more than 3-4 but if the battery is not being charged fully, that may be it.

Please let me know if I can help you further.