Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am preparing to paint the interior of my 1923 home. There

I am preparing to paint the interior of my 1923 home. There are layers upon layers of paint including on the 5in moldings around the windows and doors and the 6in baseboards and Im sure at least the bottom couple coats are lead based. There are plenty of areas where the top couple coats are chipping and peeling. My question is, how much of this do I have to remove before i paint to make sure the new coat sticks and to keep my family safe from the lead.

thanks
jesse
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

If the paint isn't peeling then all you have to do is lightly sand the surface if it's a glossy finish

Rick :

Actually a better option would be to use a de-glosser

Customer:

it is peeling in many areas, but as you know, once you start scraping its hard to know when to stop

Customer:

and when i get below the top couple coats im afraid im exposing lead paint

Rick :

If it's peeling in many areas then the only safe option is to have a certified lead paint removal contractor de-lead what you want to paint

Rick :

There is no way that you can safely deal with lead painted surfaces

Customer:

yikes, that propably isnt cheap

Customer:

probably

Rick :

It depends, and you should get a few quotes from different contractors. But the cost is relative given the potential health hazards

Customer:

and i shouldnt try to remove it myself?

Customer:

or to paint over it?

Rick :

It takes a lot of training to learn how to properly remove lead paint. You could paint over it but given your description I don't see that as feasible. Also when you go to sell the house you will need a lead certificate in most States

Rick :

The peeling paint has to be removed for the new coat to adhere properly

Customer:

what do i do on the walls, that cant be removed can it?

Rick :

Lead paint can also be en-capsulized with a specialized paint made for this purpose but this paint is usually only available to certified lead removal contractors. You still need to scrape the peeling paint even with the encapsulation paint. So the proper precautions still need to be taken.

Customer:

all right, maybe time to call a professional removal company

Rick :

Better to play it safe especially if there are kids in the house

Customer:

thanks

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.