Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hello. We are remodeling our fireplace. The hearth is raised

Hello. We are remodeling our fireplace. The hearth is raised off the floor about 4 inches to be flush with the firebox. Under the 1/2" thick marble tile of the hearth which we removed, lay a cement base. We purchased new hearth stones about 1" thick meaning we need to lower the hearth base just a bit so they are flush with the firebox. It looks like that base goes below the surface of the floor. (In the basement there is some pl-covering just that area.) What's the best course of action? Can I lower the base a few inches and re-pour a new base. what method to lower it and what type of cement? Thank you.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

You have a couple options. The more difficult option would be to just chisel out a half inch or more of the concrete with a hammer and cold chisel

Rick :

An easier way would be to use a saw with a diamond blade to score the concrete to a depth of <1" making many passes. Then chip out the concrete with a hammer and cold chisel.

Rick :

The second option would be much easier but it will put a lot of dust into the air

Rick :

You can use ready mix mortar mix (Sakrete, Quikcrete) to smooth out the uneven surface you'll have when you're done with the chiseling.

Rick :

You can rent a saw with a diamond blade at any tool rental outlet

Customer:

thank you Rick,

Customer:

I will start with option one since I have a young one at home, however it is 5 feet feet across so I may have to revert to power tools

Rick :

It's labor intensive and time consuming but unfortunately it's the only way to accomplish this. Good luck!

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX cold chisel go by any other name in case I cant find it?

Rick :

That's the name of the tool. You're best bet is one that's about 12" long and 1" wide at the business end. You might also want to get your hands on a 3 pound hammer. You can use a claw hammer but unless it's a heavy framer's hammer you won't get much impact with it

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks again!

Rick :

My pleasure

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/