Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

One of my slats on my laminate wooden flooring jas a big gash

One of my slats on my laminate wooden flooring jas a big gash in it. Is there any way to
change the one slat instead of doin the whole floor over.
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

If you have a matching new piece, you can do it. You will need to carefully cut out the old piece.

To do this you can take a circular saw, set it to the correct depth and carefully cut several slots down the damaged piece. DO NOT cut into any surrounding pieces that are still good. The idea is to remove as much of the middle, of the damaged piece, as possible.

Leave about 1-4-inch to 3/8-inch of the perimeter of the damaged piece. The remaining perimeter can be carefully cut with a chisel and a small hand saw, which will help to make the finer cuts when you need to get close to the surrounding good pieces.

The reason you need to remove the entire center of the damaged piece is so that you can carefully cut the remaining perimeter AT THE CORNERS. This will allow you to pull the perimeter strips out of the tongue and groove system of the flooring. Be patient and take your time so that the surrounding pieces do not get damaged.

Once the damaged piece is out you will need to modify the tongue and groove on the new piece so that it can be layed into place. The new piece will not rely on the tongue and groove to hold it in place; instead you will glue it to the surrounding pieces, wipe any excess glue with a damp cloth and keep pressure on it until it dries.

This will fix it and nobody will even know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the wooden floor have been glued to concrete flooring. Will this create a problem?

Well it makes it a little harder but it still can be done. The saw blade just has to be set to the right depth so you don't ruin it by hitting the concrete; even then it still may slightly hit so use and old blade. Removing the damaged piece may take a little prying...just use a block of wood to pry against so that you don't damage the surrounding the floor. Wear eye protection, etc.