ragankel0323
ragankel0323, Hobbyist
Experience:  Gadget guru! I own several electronic devices and have encountered my fair share of issues.
75502995

Craftsman garage door opener opens door randomly. Sensors appear

Customer Question

Craftsman garage door opener opens door randomly. Sensors appear to be operational and batteries in remotes are good.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  ragankel0323 replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I would like to see if I can help you solve this pesky problem.

First, Has anything been done to your garage door system recently (i.e. installed new wires, keypads, etc.)?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Replaced remotes and programmed existing wired keypad 6 months ago with no issues. Sensors show one with constant amber light and other with constant green light which I've found to be the normal working condition.

Let's try the steps below to see if we can't isolate the problem.

1. Remove the wires that are attached to the hard wired push button and see if it stops. If it does, replace the push button.

2. If it does NOT stop, remove the same wires but from the terminals at the motor. If this solves the problem, replace that wire.

3. If doing that does not solve the issue, account for ALL of your remote control devices including the wireless keypad and remove all of the batteries from them.

4. If it stops opening on its own after doing that, replace the batteries one by one, waiting a while in between remotes. If you get to the point where it is not opening on its own and then you re-energize one of the remotes and if it opens by itself, the remote that you last put the battery in is the defective remote.

Try these steps then let me know if you are still unable to find the source of the problem. I will continue to assist you with this issue until you are completely satisfied with my service.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I will try these steps. I should have noted that the random opening doesn't occur frequently, its only happened 3x in 2 weeks so it's going to be somewhat difficult to determine which of these steps work(ed). I'll get back to you with what I find.

Sounds good...take your time