Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a craftman garage door opener, when I push the button

Customer Question

I have a craftman garage door opener, when I push the button to open or close I just hear a click. You think the motor is shot?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

Sorry to hear about your opener problem.

If the door is stuck open, verify that the trolley is not stuck on the bolt located near the motor unit. If it is, simply dislodge it from the bolt and reset limits to stop the trolley before it hits the bolt.

I would also remove the cover off the motor unit and just verify that the plastic gears are not worn and binding.

In most cases, however, a clicking noise typically means a bad logic board and unfortunately they cost around $70.00. The clicking typically appears after a lightning storm or power surge. They are highly sensitive to these and fail. If the opener is older than 10 years I would recommend spending that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, today's opener technology is better and safer.

Also, invest in a surge protector made for garage door openers....it will help protect the new logic board.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please rate my answer if I have completely helped you today, so that I am credited for my time assisting you. Rating my answer does not cost you any more, and only by your rating am I compensated.

Expert:  Brian replied 2 years ago.
Chris, How did you make out?