Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
47322625

Apparently all the ground wires in my home are actually carrying

Customer Question

Apparently all the ground wires in my home are actually carrying current. WHY? And more to the point, is this dangerous?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi there happy to help.

How do you know this? Can you give me some detail about the electrical layout of your house? Panels, sub-panels, etc.....?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an 100 amp outdoor breaker box which is currently carrying 125 amps. I recently had to have a ceiling fan replaced and the serviceman discovered the issue. He checked almost all the outlets and switches and found the same issue. Today I had my former electrician check and he basically said, "yeah, so?"

Sorry, I am a 58 year old woman with zero electrical knowledge.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

OK, are you referring to your "neutral wire" or "ground wire"? You are sure he said "ground"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He said ground. The white wire. BTW, my house is 25 years old.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I was mistaken. The white wire isn't hot the copper wire is.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
OK, the white wire is the neutral wire. This is a current carrying conductor, so it quit possibly could be ok. The bare copper wire is the ground wire and should only carry current in a short circuit situation.

I would not hesitate to have an electrician come to your house and verify everything is ok however. It will literally take someone less than an hour to verify your grounds and neutrals are connected properly.

The risks are fire, electric, shock and even death if this is not done properly.

Please don't forget to rate me and have a great day. Tips appreciated!!
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just read your second response. Are you saying the bare copper wire is carrying current?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the rating, I want to make sure I was clear.

The white wire is neutral and a current carrying conductor.

The grounds wire should NOT have current on it unless you have a short somewhere. SO if this has current flow you have a PROBLEM.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I got that! I'm looking up an electrician as we speak. Thank you!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Good call, always best to defualt on the safe side!!

Take care.