P.J.
P.J., General Contractor
Experience:  Various construction experiences, both good and bad, allow me to help others solve their home improvement issues.
75205684

Hello. My husband & I had our driveway paved this past monday.

Hello. My husband & I had our driveway paved this past monday. the owner along with his crew did job. hes a small business. We were happy with the job. he did the work by hand & didnt pour concrete & cut as most do. yesterday my husband was looking at driveway & noticed the middle wasnt level, one side is almost 1in higher. so he called owner & asked him to look at it today. owner said thats normal for driveway to be uneven. We explained to him if if was slightly off we would accept that but this is very noticeable & would like the concrete replaced in middle. we asked several neighbors look at it & asked if they would accept job or were we being anal. they agreed with us. my question is if we have a job done & are unhappy with it, the owner doesnt have to replace it but he doesnt think anything is wrong & driveways arent flat and or level. We think they should be as close to level as can be. r we correct in our thinking?

Legacy Built :

This is a tough spot and subject. It is certainly reasonable to think that your driveway should have a surface that is at least in the same plane, meaning now low spots. It may need to tilt one way or another to properly drain but should not have "bird baths" left in it that will hold water and not drain properly.

Legacy Built :

Unfortunately, outside your contract with this contractor there is nothing that governs this. The generally accepted industry standard would be that the driveway should not have low spots that hold water but getting it corrected can prove to be difficult.

Legacy Built :

To answer your question, yes you are thinking correctly.

Customer: So i guess since we can force him to fix, if hes a decent person/ company which he claims he would make it right. especially since we've given his card to 3 neighbors. i would think he would to get business.
Legacy Built :

That is correct. He should take a look and correct areas that hold water. No contractor likes to tear out new work but it is the right thing to do. Best of luck getting this taken care of. I hope he chooses to do the right thing. Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: We r going to have cracks sealed but there would still b low area to hold water.
Legacy Built :

Cracks will happen over time no matter what but holding water should not be acceptable.

Customer: You'vs answered my question. thank u
Legacy Built :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it!

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going with your driveway. I hope the contractor was willing to make the necessary corrections. Let me know if you get a chance.

Thanks,
PJ