Phil
Phil , Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

Stucco Expert needed . Simple question for an experienced practioner.

Stucco Expert needed . Simple question for an experienced practioner. Application of portland cement base coat over wire mesh. Have questions of the "Rubber meets the road nature" any qualifiers out there?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

I have done some stucco work, I am not a stucco contractor however.

Let me know what the question is and will see if I can answer it with my own experience and some links... if that turns out well you can rate my advice positively... and if I am unable to get you an acceptable answer I can opt out and others can pick this question up. Not too many here are exclusively stucco contractors however... most are more diverse in the business and stucco is just one aspect of what we do.

We can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are using California EZ Wall dry mix and have mastered mixing, consistancy and application. The issue is... the product is applied by pushing in and on upwards first but finishing with firm downward motion so the angled wire vanes on the mesh help push the mix thru. We are working in panels 4 to 7' wide about 8' plus high. One of our gurus told us we should work from the top of the panel down. My experienced crew member thinks it is better to work from the bottom up.Note this not about the stroke direction but the progress of the work direction. Can uou help settle this. Again we are expert builders but first time stucco workers.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, I don't think it makes any difference if the mix is stiff enough not to sag after you stroke it.

If the mix is a bit thin, and tends to sag or even fall away when working from the top down, then working from the bottom up would counter-act the sag problem. That is most likely where the different views originate.

You can rate that answer positively if you like it and it makes sense to you, otherwise don't rate it at all and I will opt out and we can see if anyone else has a better answer.

Thanks!

Phil