Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction

Hello, I live in Duncanville Texas. I was approved for a roof

Hello, I live in Duncanville Texas. I was approved for a roof replacement through my insurance company. I have an ACV policy. My roof has 3/8" decking with rafters spaced 24" apart. Is code for my roof to be installed on thicker decking? Should A redeck be paid for by my insurance company? If so what is the code or statue? Thanks a lot.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

Hi

Customer:

Hello

Charles :

What type of roofing material is on the roof now?

Customer:

3tab shingles

Charles :

Do you happen to know the pitch of your roof?

Customer:

idk but its walkable and has a lil pitch prob a 4/12

Charles :

Ok, Thanks

Charles :

As a general rule, code requires 1/2" sheeting on the roof deck.

Charles :

The insurance company will probably fight you over the sheeting upgrade but they should pay for it as it is part of the roofing job.

Customer:

Right but if I have an insurance claim and they paid for a reroof. My decking is 3/8 I was told they have to pay to put it to code, but I have a acv when I told the adjuster he said to send pictures and the code statue

Charles :

Instead of a complete tear off, you can ask your local building official if they would be ok just laying another 3/8 sheet over the top of the old sheeting.

Customer:

So the code is what I need. Also is my insurance supposed to pay for that upgrade

Charles :

Yes, the insurance should pay for it.

Customer:

Do you have the code?

Charles :

I am looking for the actual code for you

Customer:

Thanks

Charles :

no problem, just a big book to go through, lol

Customer:

I understand

Charles :

this is what I found in the ICC code book.

Charles :

According to 2009 IRC, Table R803.1 Minimum thickness of "lumber" roof sheathing; rafter spacing 24"; would be 5/8".

and, for Wood "structural panel" sheathing (R803.2.2 Allowable spans); you would go to Table R503.2.1.1(1) to determine minimum nominal panel thickness.

Many code requirements are not inspected. Section R109 Inspections; are generally considered "required inspections" by the Building Safety Department

Charles :

So in your case the sheeting should be 5/8

Charles :

Im looking for anything I may have missed now

Charles :

But, if the sheeting is OSB, it can be 3/8 because its an engineered wood product and is structurally more sound. If the sheeting is actual wood planks, then it would need to be 5/8

Customer:

Thanks a lot man I appreciate it

Charles :

no problem, glad I could help

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: 20+ years in most phases of construction